Search the forum,

Discuss Newly tiled hallway but gaps all around the edges in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

minipharm

Hi

We have just had our hallway floor tiled. I am very happy with the tiling itself and paid the tiler when he left late on Sunday.

However on closer inspection the next day I realised that there are gaps along most of the edges (ie, where the tiles meet the skirting board). In a few places they are filled with grout but in general there is just a gap.

Please can you advise whether these gaps ought to have been filled with grout, or with something else (?caulk, silicon?) and whether the tiler ought to have done this before he left? The grout is grey but the skirting board is white, in case this is relevant.

He did a good job so I'm happy to finish this myself if it's easy to do, I just don't know what ought to be there. I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be a gap though!

Thanks in advance for your help

Jo

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Whilst it would have been a better finish if the skirtings HAD been removed first.....this isn't always practical.
An expansion gap should have been left and then a small bead of silicon run along the skirting/tile.

Usually this is part and parcel of the job........so the tiler should have done this.

S

steve187

sometimes best to repaint if required before silicone, was there no discussion prior to the job being finished.

P

prceramics

he probably just forgot if he finished late sure he wont mind coming back to do it, if he used a grey or dark grout he may of wanted it to dry before doing a bead of white silicone as it can smudge if done when wet

M

minipharm

sometimes best to repaint if required before silicone, was there no discussion prior to the job being finished.

The skirting is all newly painted. I'm just surprised that he left without mentioned anything about filling around the edges. clearly the job is not finished with these gaps everywhere.

It was late on Sunday night and I think they were in quite a hurry to get home, to be honest.

I'll get some silicon and fill around the edges myself.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to Newly tiled hallway but gaps all around the edges in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen