Search the forum,

Discuss Newly tiled hallway but gaps all around the edges in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
and ive been doing the job a long time also with no come back ,but every time i put something on here (although this is not my post ) about ten million people dissagree with whatever i say so i have to say to most people on here in your minds experience does not count in your eyes and its sometimes like having a battle instead of just having the job done right , im not suprised that some good tilers out there choose not to come on here and make a statement ,maybe they cant be bothered with the hasstle and do it there own way i dont know

afright

TF
Reaction score
Although Brian I have learned some new ways and read about new products on this forum which I have taken on board it just seems to be that the way you have been doing things for donkeys with no comebacks is now said to be taboo It does seem to be British Standards this British Standards that,never heard it said so much until I come on hear,I think the right way is the way you are comfortable with and if the client's are happy and you are making money so be it,but I will take on any advice that any of the chaps give on the forum but just dont like to be told my way is wrong.lol.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
40 bathrooms in 5 years, not one with expansion joints......some rough tilers around your way

There are some very rough tilers around here, and all around the country... I wonder how long the movement joint has been the industry standard, as I can't believe this is the only area where it doesn't seem to have been used!?!

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Which brings me back to my original question. If you know its going to crack, i.e fail then why "bond" your silicone over the top?
Would this not jepodise the integrity of the sealant?
If its clear over grout for colour then use a colour co-ordinated silicone surely??

Confused.com

the silicone is sealed to the tiles either side of the grout. I don't see why a 0.5mm crack in the grout would jeopardise the integrity!?! I could be wrong, but until I see it fail, I don't see any reason to change my methods.

and... Not one person on here has even said they've seen tiles tenting by doing it my way!?!

ok here goes any one that sillcones in the joint or on top of tiling after grouting is waisting your time as it will pull out over time or will pull off the surface in time and let water through so the right way to do this is to silcone the wall or floor joint before you tile then lay tile into wet silcone sealing it behind the tile and the substrate so it can never peel off now you can grout or sillcone the joint and now that there is one layer that will never fail as its pinned in place now thats real tanking at 1 % of the cost

Ray, I agree that would be the most watertight method. Same as you do when you instal a bath, or basin. But..... Surely, by totally filling the void with silicone, you've removed the movement joint, as there would be nowhere for the silicone to compress into!?! Not that I have any problem with that, of course... Lol

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
There seems to be a consistency abroad of using grout in corners even in showers and baths. Most of their hotels are all concrete construction and I would guess less liable for movement, hence they don't use silicon as the grout just stays where it should be.

Looking at house construction in the uk over the last 20-25 years the timber used is shocking, bent, twisted all over the place. Walls all out of plumb and not flat. I for one would not want to risk grouting any joints where movement is likely.

Just my 2p's worth.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just bumping some of the older popular threads. Probably wont be current discussion these days but I just need to do it. So just ignore the thread if it's not current for you.

Reply to Newly tiled hallway but gaps all around the edges in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen