Currently reading:
Newly tiled hallway but gaps all around the edges

Discuss Newly tiled hallway but gaps all around the edges in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

minipharm

Hi

We have just had our hallway floor tiled. I am very happy with the tiling itself and paid the tiler when he left late on Sunday.

However on closer inspection the next day I realised that there are gaps along most of the edges (ie, where the tiles meet the skirting board). In a few places they are filled with grout but in general there is just a gap.

Please can you advise whether these gaps ought to have been filled with grout, or with something else (?caulk, silicon?) and whether the tiler ought to have done this before he left? The grout is grey but the skirting board is white, in case this is relevant.

He did a good job so I'm happy to finish this myself if it's easy to do, I just don't know what ought to be there. I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be a gap though!

Thanks in advance for your help

Jo

M

minipharm

sometimes best to repaint if required before silicone, was there no discussion prior to the job being finished.

The skirting is all newly painted. I'm just surprised that he left without mentioned anything about filling around the edges. clearly the job is not finished with these gaps everywhere.

It was late on Sunday night and I think they were in quite a hurry to get home, to be honest.

I'll get some silicon and fill around the edges myself.

Thanks for your help.

C

charlie1

and may i ask what you do if the walpaper is ripped or the plaster comes away with the skirting ? do you build that in with your price in case of misshaps?

Stanley knife wall paper to isolate any issues their, remember brian your floor is going to be moving up 15 - 25 mm in places. Always remove skirting the correct way (find studs) on frame wall and lever skirting off from there. If there is a little bit of plastering .... Well, filling, then that's no problem.

C

charlie1

I'm only a course tiler so what do I know lol, here is how I do it...
50 m2 kitchen / hall floor with UFH, I'm not taking any chances with expansion so there coming off and refitted and I don't care what customer tells me, it's my job and it will be me who gets the call if it fails. Each to there own though, if it works for you then fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 98
Stanley knife wall paper to isolate any issues their, remember brian your floor is going to be moving up 15 - 25 mm in places. Always remove skirting the correct way (find studs) on frame wall and lever skirting off from there. If there is a little bit of plastering .... Well, filling, then that's no problem.
im afraid if my floor moved that much in my hallway i woud be moving out sharpish in case it was falling down,

Reply to Newly tiled hallway but gaps all around the edges in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement