Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie, please help!...Found the source of a leak - not sure how to best fix it in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

chunk

Hello,

Sorry to trouble, I would really appreciate some advice.

Firstly, there could be a moan attached to this about a supposed professional tiler, but I won't name names.

I have a 2yr old small bathroom tiled with porcelain 12.5" x 18" tiles

Some tiles are working loose, and today I found a leak where the grout is splitting and another loose tile has appeared. Marine ply is soaked through ( so I suppose it's a lot of water?). The troubled area is in a shower enclosure.

Q. What's the best way to get the grout out and try to seal it up?
Q. If the tiles are giving way, is the only option to rip it all out and re-do it, or can it be done just where the tiles are giving way?
Q. Why is the grout cracking, why are the tiles coming off?

I would have expected the tiling job to have lasted longer really, or am I wrong to assume this?

To clarify, I didn't do any of it, I'm not good at this kind of thing. So I employed someone to do it, but that person has told me to get stuffed when asked to make good his original job.

Stuck, Leaking, Crap at DIY, Miserable, Hoping.

Cheers

D

DHTiling

What are the tiles made from..are they ceramic/porcelain/natural.....?

What adheive was used...

And what grout was used......need info to best advise..........if the tiles are coming loose then the water from the shower will get in...

E

enduro

If there is a leak in the pipe work,and the ply is getting wet and the tiler didnt touched it, i cant see why the tiler is to blame..get the plumber back.

C

chunk

Hi Dave,

They are Topps Padova 12.5" x 18" Porcelain - that's the only bit I bought.

The rest is in the lap of the gods... or the problem tiler! He turned up, mixed up, tiled up, and left.

G

grumpygrouter

If I understand what you are saying, the leak is through the grout onto the marine ply behind the tiles and not a pipe leaking?

If so, the shower enclosure should have ideally not had ply as a substrate, as it is, it should have been tanked and this problem would probably not arisen. I think the only real solution is to rip it out and start again and use backerboard and not ply for the walls.

I can understand why you are not happy!

C

chunk

If there is a leak in the pipe work,and the ply is getting wet and the tiler didnt touched it, i cant see why the tiler is to blame..get the plumber back.

Hi,

I made no mention of the pipes, as not leaking from there. The pipes are sound, dry and attached. Even had the Shower Tower off today and it's bone dry inside and around.

D

DHTiling

He should have used flexible adhesive and grout.....ply is not the best substrate to tile to in a shower...it could be flexing with moisture and this could cause the tiles pop off....

Also if the seal at the bottom of tiles in the shower has split or was incorrectly applied then water could have got in and swelled the ply.......

You need to remove as many tiles as it takes to reveal the effected area and then take it from there....if the damage is to much then it looks like it needs re-doing...

Take some tiles off and come back with some pics if you can......

C

chunk

If I understand what you are saying, the leak is through the grout onto the marine ply behind the tiles and not a pipe leaking?

If so, the shower enclosure should have ideally not had ply as a substrate, as it is, it should have been tanked and this problem would probably not arisen. I think the only real solution is to rip it out and start again and use backerboard and not ply for the walls.

I can understand why you are not happy!

Exactly that leak Grumpy!
No, not happy and now stuck with a crap tile job and crap substrate.

Ho Hum, could be worse, at least my kids are healthy :thumbsup:

D

Daz

What area are you in Chunk? There may be someone on the forum that can pop round and give some proper advice???

A

abskiing

There are a couple of aspects to this situation.
1. How long has this situation been going on ? (when did you first notice it.)
2. Did the same person do the plumbing as did the tiling ?
3. Have you or anyone else changed any of the plumbing or related components after the tiling was done.?
4. Did the tiler remove the shower controls to tile behind them.?

First locate the leak, shower controls are a good starting point. Also try and trace the route of the pipework feeding the controls and check for leak near the shower enclosure. Take off loose tiles carefully until you get to dry, sound surfaces. Once you locate the leak you will have more idea as to the cause/reason for your problem.

You may then need to approach the relevant body to get satisfaction. Not so easy if the culprit digs their heels in and denies responsibility.

abskiing

Reply to Newbie, please help!...Found the source of a leak - not sure how to best fix it in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen