Discuss Newbie Looking For Advice on Expansion Gaps With UFH System in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

All I can say with certainty is that the division between two different substrates and in each doorway there should be an expansion joint. And no bay should be bigger than 40m2.
As to whether it’s recommended to cross these substrates with any wet ufh I do not know.
Hopefully @Chalker will see this later, he may know.
As it’s not a @Uheat - Jake system, they may not be willing to comment.

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't comment on the EPS Panels with Tiles on top as it's not a solution we recommend to use as the panels themselves are not solid, we recommend them to only be used with a Wood or Laminate floor finish. However with our Gypsum boards which is a solid fibre board, we recommend an expansion gap is left in door ways. To do this you can use a thin edge insulation layer. But as mentioned this is for a Solid Floor panel. I've attached an example.

0d26e90725caddbcd79c4e673fc00800.png

Nic B

TF
Reaction score
Thank you all for the useful advice. I guess I havent got a choice at the moment other than to put expansion gaps between substrates and in doorways.

Any suggestions on the best place to get a good expansion gap and what I should be looking for in particular?

Thanks again

O

Old Mod

Unfortunately I can't comment on the EPS Panels with Tiles on top as it's not a solution we recommend to use as the panels themselves are not solid, we recommend them to only be used with a Wood or Laminate floor finish. However with our Gypsum boards which is a solid fibre board, we recommend an expansion gap is left in door ways. To do this you can use a thin edge insulation layer. But as mentioned this is for a Solid Floor panel. I've attached an example.

View attachment 98518

Thank you Jake your answer is totally appreciated.

I don’t blame you for your stance on these panels, I completely agree and would never tile to them myself, of which I’m sure you know from my previous posts.

If I can push my luck a little further please, how would you deal with a change of substrate, do you use your gypsum boards as a decoupler and just span the joint?
Or are my fears of crossing from one to another warranted?
Thanks Jake.

Nic B

TF
Reaction score

View attachment 98518

I am not sure how to tag you all individually, so bear with me.

Thank you Jake for taking the time even though the system is not one of yours, I really do appreciate it.

Starting to wish I had found this forum before I ordered the system. I did check Trust Pilot and there are a lot of positive reviews on there from people saying they have used the system many times, but that is clearly not the whole picture!!!

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Thank you Jake your answer is totally appreciated.

I don’t blame you for your stance on these panels, I completely agree and would never tile to them myself, of which I’m sure you know from my previous posts.

If I can push my luck a little further please, how would you deal with a change of substrate, do you use your gypsum boards as a decoupler and just span the joint?
Or are my fears of crossing from one to another warranted?
Thanks Jake.

With our Gypsum the boards would be fixed down to the timber however leaving a expansion would be fine to do if they're was any concerns by installer. Our boards don't have decoupling properties so we recommend if an installer is going to use one then put a skin of Flexible SLC over our panels before laying the decoupling membrane and then tiles.

@Nic B No problem, happy we could help. If you're worried about cracking of tiles using the EPS then you could use a screed board over the top of the panels which would offer a solid base for the tiles. However these are 20mm in thickness, which would be added to your floor height.

Nic B

TF
Reaction score
@Uheat - Jake thanks again. I was reading about those and considered them, unfortunately floor height is already set and bifold doors etc installed so any additional height is obviously going to cause us a hug problem, over and above the fact that we are already massively over budget and borrowed up to our eye balls!

First proper building project I have ever done and I now understand how it spirals out of control so quickly!

Nic B

TF
Reaction score
So I decided to drop a quick email to Wundafloor technical regarding the application, crossing substrates and the need for expansion gaps, below is the response I got -

Our first consideration is the transition between the concrete/floorboards section. We would hope to see it flat, stable and level.

Secondly, regardless of tile dimension the adhesive being used is highly deformable thus taking movement & expansion into account, either C2 E S2 or C2 FT S2. This has always been sufficient in the case of large format tiles over large areas and we are unaware of any further expansion gaps being necessary.

We’d advise consulting with your tiler on this matter, as they may wish to recommend further decoupling/anti-fracture strategies etc. As far as we’re concerned though, we’re quite happy to see tiles of those dimension bonded directly to the panel using a highly deformable C2 E/FT S2 adhesive.

Considering what I have read on this forum, I would be surprised if they were unaware of any issues!

Not sure if the above is useful, but thought I would share it with you all anyway.

Catch 22, don't follow their instructions and there is no arguement from my side, follow their instructions and it goes wrong and it becomes he said she said and trying to prove it was done right. Seems like I am damned if I do or damned if I dont...

Once again, thank you for all of your assistance with this.

Cheers,

Nic

Reply to Newbie Looking For Advice on Expansion Gaps With UFH System in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks