Search the forum,

Discuss Mosaics :/ Getting mosaic border flush with tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

JP Tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
We have got a scheme coming up whereby we need to install a mosaic band in between some 11mm think ceramics.......guess whats coming up.......

Has anybody got any suggestions as to the best (cheapest) solution to ensuring the detail is flush on completion. The client is going to be looking at this with a magnifying glass, so anybody who has experienced the pain of trying to do this, and has got some ideas, let me know!!

JP

R

Rookery

Depending on the thickness of the mosaics, I'd fix a strip of backer board to the wall and fix the mosaics to that. The dog tooth method is a bit cheaper but takes longer and is messy. Well it is when I do it!

JP Tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Cheers! Dog tooth is definitely the cheapest but as its only a thin band I think the mess will out weigh the finish. As it is a repetitive finish to 60 bathrooms I was hoping for a better solution. Backer boards is the straight forward option but that might hurt my pocket a bit!

T

Time's Ran Out

Stiffen the strips up on a plastic backing sheet and just place in the adhesive.
6mm strips of wedi or Hardi.
Dog tooth.
About it!

S

Stef

If you've enough space I would glue the mosaics onto strips of thermal board then stick the strips to the wall.
I've done it a few times & leaves a good flush finish.

JP Tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Strips are to be 100mm and 150mm depending on the 2 areas they are going in....

I am awaiting samples but they are saying mosaics 8mm, and tile is 11mm.....so not sure if we will have the depth for backer boards.....but then I dont believe the mosaics will be that thick!

T

Time's Ran Out

Stone mosaics perhaps.
Stiff mix of fast set and the dog tooth method will do the job in no time.

Reply to Mosaics :/ Getting mosaic border flush with tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen