Search the forum,

Discuss more questions about wbp plywood and backer boards... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

John the tile

hy all

Im nearly there with my info gathering.

Do i have to buy the screws which are sold by topps tiles for the hardie boards? or is it ok to buy some stainless steel screws from elsewhere?

Are the turbogold screws from screwfix stainless steel as it does not say on the website? will these be ok for both the wbp and the hardie board?

Ill be buying the sbr primer from topps for the plywood. I usually use primer g from tile giant/mapei on the walls but will i be able to use this sbr stuff on my plasterboarded walls?

Ill be using mapei flexi addy. Will this be ok for the glueing the hardie boards down and bedding the tapes into the joints of the hardie boards.

thanks

D

davemul

I used stainless turbo gold screws from screwfix. Not the normal turbogold. (this was screwing my backer boards to the ply, I used normal turbogolds for the ply to the joists.Mapei keraflex adhesive for the backer boards to the ply. (I did this today)Screwfix sell primer g, pick some up when you get the screws.Any more q's just ask mate

M

Mike

where are you getting the hardi boards from? topps are expensive compared to my local builder centres. the screws are a rip too, £7 for 100 and thats with discount

R

Rich

I would try to use the same brand of primer/adhesive/grout... throughout the entire installation if you can. Im pretty sure that Mapei dont recommend priming the top of the ply, just the under side and sides. As long as you use a single part (2-part is fine as well but costs a bomb) flexible adhesive you will be fine :thumbsup:

R

Rich

And as Mike says, it would prob be a good idea to shop round for your gear, you might be surprised at how much you could save :thumbsup:

J

John the tile

I agree about shopping around thats exactly what ive been doing for the last hour.....

yes topps are £12.5 a board and £7 for the screws... ive found £12 off then net.... thats all!!

marmox 6mm is only £7.5 a board when you buy 8 albeit smaller boards but per m2 there alot cheaper than topps. BUT its £20 delivery and theres £20 for the washers. (insulation express website) which then makes them more than topps.

dave was it you using the marmox did you use the washers ?

Can i use mapei primer g for the undersides of the ply then? if so then ill defo stick with all the mapei gear which is how i would prefer it...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

davemul

Yes use primer gI used plastic marmox washersUse screwfix for screws and get your primer g there too

M

Mike

I agree about shopping around thats exactly what ive been doing for the last hour.....

yes topps are £12.5 a board and £7 for the screws... ive found £12 off then net.... thats all!!

marmox 6mm is only £7.5 a board when you buy 8 albeit smaller boards but per m2 there alot cheaper than topps. BUT its £20 delivery and theres £20 for the washers. (insulation express website) which then makes them more than topps.

dave was it you using the marmox did you use the washers ?

Can i use mapei primer g for the undersides of the ply then? if so then ill defo stick with all the mapei gear which is how i would prefer it...
topps 6mm boards are only 1200 x 800 whereas i can get 1500 x 900 for the same price (around £12) at the builders merchants. also the ones i had from topps weren't premarked/indented for the screws

P

Perry

You will find your small local tile shop will be cheaper than topps even if they charge you srp

Reply to more questions about wbp plywood and backer boards... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen