Search the forum,

Discuss Mixing powdered adhesive/grouts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

A friend of mine was diagnosed with lung cancer this week, and this has really got me thinking about powdered adhesive and grouts. When mixing theses there is always a bit of dust and i wondered how many people wear a mask when mixing ? Also when dusting tiles off to get them nice and shiny, and we all know this a bit dusty. Silicosis is a form of lung cancer caused by cement dust. I dont wear a mask but im going too now. :thumbsup:

H

hillhead

hi enduro.i don't use mask but have a good friend(great tiler too) who has started using a mask lately as he also knew a man who died i think from same stuff!! he is adamant that this is the right thing to do.dust is a serious killer.i worked in a dusty atmosphere for 16 years so what hope have i?? i wonder at times.

W

White Room

I do try and mix outside outside as much as possible, I must have breathed in so much dust over the last 38 years in the building game.

Sorry to hear about mate enduro.

U

user123

Wear the mask, they are dirt cheap and I think it actually looks more professional.:thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

tried wearing a mask, but it gives me a feeling of claustrophobia, really!!, but I stopped smoking nearly a year ago, so that can be my trade off!:thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

not a mask like this tho'
emoticon-zorro.gif

P

peckers

sorry to here about your m8 enduro, I was mixing granfix ultimate flex adhesive the other day and boy is this dusty! i thought then that i should be wearing a mask as not only did i breathe half the bag in but as the wind whipped it up it went in me eyes to and i had to have me eyes washed out as it was all itchy and stinging!
I have since bought those cheap throwaway masks and a good expensive set of safety glasses that are more like wrap around sun glasses that i now keep on me head at all times, they alsoo magnify a bit too which helps with me measureing!
once again sorry to here about your m8!

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
A true story like yours Enduro is of course sad, but we should learn from your post. I sometimes get a wheezing chest from all the dust that is in the atmosphere at work. I did buy those cheap masks, but I think I paid too little money for them as they were useless. I will deffo invest in a proper mask. Nice point made by Mosaic Girl about the masks making a tiler look more professional. Maybe we should call ourselves ‘Tile Surgeons’! Again, I’m sorry to hear about your friend. Sean

Reply to Mixing powdered adhesive/grouts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen