Search the forum,

Discuss Mixing powdered adhesive/grouts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

A friend of mine was diagnosed with lung cancer this week, and this has really got me thinking about powdered adhesive and grouts. When mixing theses there is always a bit of dust and i wondered how many people wear a mask when mixing ? Also when dusting tiles off to get them nice and shiny, and we all know this a bit dusty. Silicosis is a form of lung cancer caused by cement dust. I dont wear a mask but im going too now. :thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

not a mask like this tho'
emoticon-zorro.gif

P

peckers

sorry to here about your m8 enduro, I was mixing granfix ultimate flex adhesive the other day and boy is this dusty! i thought then that i should be wearing a mask as not only did i breathe half the bag in but as the wind whipped it up it went in me eyes to and i had to have me eyes washed out as it was all itchy and stinging!
I have since bought those cheap throwaway masks and a good expensive set of safety glasses that are more like wrap around sun glasses that i now keep on me head at all times, they alsoo magnify a bit too which helps with me measureing!
once again sorry to here about your m8!

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
A true story like yours Enduro is of course sad, but we should learn from your post. I sometimes get a wheezing chest from all the dust that is in the atmosphere at work. I did buy those cheap masks, but I think I paid too little money for them as they were useless. I will deffo invest in a proper mask. Nice point made by Mosaic Girl about the masks making a tiler look more professional. Maybe we should call ourselves ‘Tile Surgeons’! Again, I’m sorry to hear about your friend. Sean

C

Colour Republic

I hate reading stuff like this as it reminds me of how stupid I've been, I really can't get on with masks because they drive me up the wall and tell myself that any damage has already been done with the amount or rubbish that has entered my lungs, but it has got me thinking for the first time that maybe I should invest in a mask that will suit me, i mean i'm quite happy spending the best part of a grand on some new fancy tool but wouldn't spend over £30 on an all singing all dancing mask that may well save my life. If it cost me £200 it would be money well spent

Sorry to hear about your pal:thumbsdown:

D

doug boardley

I didn't mean to be flippant in my earlier posts Enduro, both myself and my brother have had polyps removed from our throats, mainly due to adding lime to dashing and render in the bad old days. I actually hold my breath whilst I'm mixing anything, and if i need to breathe, I do little intakes through my mouth. But masks really do panic me, but I would deffo recommend them to anybody else:thumbsup:

D

Daz

It's always upsetting to hear of cases such as your friend Enduro.
I wear glasses and the standard masks just fog my glasses up so I struggled whenever mixing, scoring tiles, removing dodgy latexing, paint from plaster etc. etc.. I have had to invest in an expensive mask for all those dusty tasks, but have to admit that I tend to mix up outside and rarely wear a mask for that.

R

Rob Z

Enduro, sorry to hear about your friend. :(

I have recently been investing a lot of money in dust collection equipment. I have two HEPA air cleaners, and numerous HEPA vacs to which we can attach a variety of sanding, grinding and cutting tools. We also have good respirators which we wear while doing demolition work.

I'm 44 and didn't start getting serious about this until recently. I used to come home and my lungs would ache for days after doing dusty work. I'm trying to get my employees in the habit of protecting themselves now while they are young (early 30's).

Reply to Mixing powdered adhesive/grouts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.