Search the forum,

Discuss mitre a tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi guys n gals,,job starting in 2 days and just been over it with the guy im subbing for,,he doesnt want to buy trim to save some money ,can i mitre tiles instead of finishing with trim or have i picked this up wrong?:stupid: and if so how do i mitre? cheers:thumbsup::thumbsup:

G

GazTech

The labour content to mitre the tiles, far exceeds the price of plastic or metal trim....Gaz
by a country mile

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i know its crazy,,wants a plain finish and to just leave it,,im not very happy doing this though as its my work going up and sounds a bit unproffesional,,so i was going to mitre along the trim line off my own back as i want the job to look good,,how do i mitre peeps i have a tilting rubi wet cutter but just need some guidance how to cut properly for the mitre cut cheers

B

brummie tiler

yep i agree £1.50 for plastic trim. How much would you guys add on for mitre - ing a complete window reaveal methinks a lot more

G

Gazzer

If the guy you are subbing for is too tight and yyou are willing to spend all your time mitring tiles ....why dont you just buy the trim your self....financially you will be better off.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
this job would give me the opportunity to mitre the tiles which is another skill i could learn,,most jobs will involve trim so i wont be mitreing them but id actually like to learn how to do this anyway.:thumbsup:

G

GazTech

this job would give me the opportunity to mitre the tiles which is another skill i could learn,,most jobs will involve trim so i wont be mitreing them but id actually like to learn how to do this anyway.:thumbsup:
Most wet cutters have flip tables for you to mitre, Failing that you can mitre tiles with an angle grinder or failing that chew the back edge off with your teeth........mitred tiles are very vulnerable to impact chipping, plastic or metal trims help protect the glazed surface of the tile...mitre them for your customer , but well charge them for the pleasure.........

D

DHTiling

It usually is easier to mitre if your cutter table tilts down and not up.....then when mitring try to leave about a 1mm to 2mm or so away from the edge or it starts to chip out.....then when joining the mitres fill the mouth of the mitre with grout....

The only thing is though you will have to use a tile file as well to get some edges smooth....hard work ...looks good....but no protection on the edges without trim....

hope that helps.......

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
so its the biscuit side of the tile thats to be cut at an angle not the glazed side as this will chip ,,basically leaving a slightly pointed finish coming from the back of the tile where the trim should meet??:huh2::thumbsup:

G

GazTech

This was for myself ( old house ) most people would not pay for this detail...Gaz
reveal_mitre_detail.jpg

B

bal

Your probably going to chip a fair few tiles before your done hope youve got a few spare and alot of patience , only tile i mitre is travertine round windows and all the edges i file down and fill with a biege resin cant even see the join , do the mitres with my over head cutter so trav stays still.

Reply to mitre a tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen