Search the forum,

Discuss Loose tile??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

farlo

Hi everyone, hoping you can shed some light on something that's happened.......
Tiling a bathroom at the moment, all walls are plasterboard but I've done the shower area out using aquaboards which were cemented to the breeze blocks and drilled and plugged.
Primed the walls with bal primer (2 coats) waited until fully dry between coats and fully dry before started to tile,
I've tiled the walls using mapei adhesive (blue top around shower area), I've gone to move the batton running along the bottom of the wall used for supporting the tiles and one of the tiles has come away.
Any idea's why?

Thanks

F

farlo

Hi Brian, thanks for the quick reply, primed twice as per the instructions on the primer bottle and checked the adhesive coverage, plenty of adhesive as I applied the adhesive to the wall with a 10mm trowel, maybe its just a fluke one off (hope so - bit worried about the rest of the tiles now urgh)

B

brian c

MAYBE YOU DIDNT EMBED THE TILE FAR ENOUGH ONTO THE ADHESIVE.

serate the wall with adhesive and cover the back of the tile with adhesive and it should sort your problem.

what was the tile you put on the wall..hopefully it was ceramics?

F

farlo

Hi Brian, yea its a ceramic tile measuring about 5 x 8, ok will do, thanks again!

B

brian c

this is only a couple of things it could be,there are many but hopefully you will be ok if you do whaat i have said and push the tile into the adhesive and twist tile into position.:thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Could just be that the addy had not set fully and the tile batton bound to it and pulled it off the wall. I have done the same thing several times both with tiles and render.

F

farlo

Thanks Ajax, yea must of been this reason, all the other tiles are solid, thanks again:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

You say you primed the aqua panel.....when using a dispersion adhesive it helps the the substrate is slightly porous to allow moisture to disperse and if you put 2 coats of primer on this might have sealed any capilleries in the surface of the board and not allowed the dispersion adhesive to crystalise in the surface to aid in the keying and drying

You will need to leave it longer to dry and the moisture will need to evaporate first.

B

bluebob

hello mate dont over complicate the job.you didnt need primer and you dont need 10mm trowel on new boards.6mm is plenty slight twist as you lay and you wont need batons either lay em 10mm high leave 3 or4 mins drag down torequired position leave .:thumbsup:

Reply to Loose tile??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen