Search the forum,

Discuss Loose Shower Tiles Help! in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SteveG81

Hi All,
I'm after some advice on loose tiles. I had some grout that had fell out of the bottom layer of tiles over time. I got new but when I removed two tiles fell out! I got some adhesive out the shed and re-did the two tiles. They fell off so I assumed the adhesive had gone off as it was old.

So I went and bought some mapegrip D1 adhesive. It's a wooden wall, so I dries for wall and PVa on it like it had originally to seal it. Now one tile has stuck and one is loose again!

What am I doing wrong? Is it the wrong adhesive? I'm no tiling expert but in the past I have done my kitchen wall and floor with no problems.

I just want my shower to be water proof lol!!! Thank you for reading this.

S

SteveG81

Thanks for the replays. I've just googled tanking and will do that before getting the shower completely re tiled in a few months. Maybe the powdered flexi adhesive will get me away for now?

We are having the kitchen done at the minute which is a major hassle I want a break before attacking the bathroom lol

O

Old Mod

So I went and bought some mapegrip D1 adhesive. It's a wooden wall, so I dries for wall and PVa on it like it had originally to seal it.

Does that mean you primed it with PVA?
If it does, then that's compounding your problem.
Do not use it!!!!
Wash it off, yes it'll wash off, that's why it'll compound your problem.
When it gets wet it becomes 'live' again.
Let the wall dry thoroughly before re priming.
Use the primer suggested by the adhesive manufacturer, it's not cheap in comparison to PVA, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a new kitchen ceiling!

T

Tile Shop

As a rule, readymixed adhesives don't require a primer. So PVA is an issue on two fronts.... its the wrong primer for wood (actually, its wrong for any tiling), and it probably wasn't needed in the first place. PVA forms a skin over ther surface, which turns to mush when it gets touched by water (which readymixed adhesive contains a fair amount of).

Secondly, Mapegrip D1 is not suitable for wood. On the tub, it should tell you its for plaster, plasterboard, and tile backer board only.

Prime it, tank it, Mapei keraquick or keraflex for the adhesive, and ultracolor plus for you grout. For a quick repair job, this should work. But check the wood is still in good condition first because the chances are it will have swollen and gone brittle. Or at worst, rotten.

Belts and braces solution is to take the lot down, replace the wood with marmox board, tape the joints and where it joins the shower tray and use the keraquick/keraflex and ultracolor.

Reply to Loose Shower Tiles Help! in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen