Discuss Looking to remove tiles in Bathroom (need advice) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am getting quotes in at the moment for my bathroom to be fully tiled, all walls top to bottom and floor.

So far the quotes are ranging from £590-690 but before any of them can do any work i need to remove the tiles.

So now the dreaded bit, what would be the best way?

All i can tell you is the following:

Left wall is plasterboard, behind that wall is a walk in cupboard.

Back wall is plasterboard, behind that wall is my next door neighbours house joint to mine.

Right wall is plasterboard, behind that wall is the front of my house.

Any ideas of the best way to remove the tiles without damaging the plasterboard to a extent that it will have to be replaced.

I was thinking of getting a cheap SDS drill but not to sure as i don't want to buy something for this sole purpose only to find out i will still have to replace all of the plasterboard.

Also attached some piccys of the tiled walls i need to remove.

Your thoughts are most welcome.

All the best

Jay

Left Wall-min.JPG Back Wall-min.JPG Right Wall-min.JPG

O

Old Mod

Buy tile backer boards, something like Deltaboard, which are waterproof and need minimal tanking in your shower area instead of wasting money on an SDS drill.
It’s highly unlikely that you’ll get the tiles off without damaging the plasterboard if the original tiles are correctly fixed.
I know it’s not what you want to hear, but it is the likely outcome.

OP
R

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
Hi 3_fall,

Thanks for that info, i have heard of moisture resistent plasterboard but never heard of tile backer boards, any idea of size i will need as it seems they come in all different sizes? Are they just cut to size and nailed to the joists and then taped at joints?

Also do you know of the best place to buy?

Sorry for all the questions.

Jay

acaciaguy

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
There is no way to get tiles off without damage to plasterboard. Best thing is to as mentioned above is to remove tiles and plasterboard and use with a backerboard. How large are the tiles that you are going to have fixed?

W

Waluigi

What size tiles are going onto your walls?

The vast majority of tiles people buy nowadays usually mean the prep work is considerably more involved than the tiling itself.

acaciaguy

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
If the wall behind the shower is a stud wall (could be chased in if brick) this would be a good opportunity to get the shower wiring / water hiden and you can lose the trunking

OP
R

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
If the wall behind the shower is a stud wall (could be chased in if brick) this would be a good opportunity to get the shower wiring / water hiden and you can lose the trunking

I would be amazed if the wall behind the shower is brick, the whole house seems to be plasterboard apart from outer walls to the house, outer walls i think is plasterboard>breeze block>brick.

Jay

acaciaguy

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Even better :grinning: If its one layer of plasterboard then I would take it all off with the tiles and replace the shower / wet area with a backer board and then the rest of the plasterboard areas use moisture resistant PB. When you try to take the tiles off the plasterboard if you can find out where the studs and and cut the board in the right place you might be able to get the tiles and PB off in small sheets rather than tile by tile

OP
R

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
Even better :grinning: If its one layer of plasterboard then I would take it all off with the tiles and replace the shower / wet area with a backer board and then the rest of the plasterboard areas use moisture resistant PB.

Ain't checked yet but what if it is more than one layer, how does it change things? would i have to replace it with two layers of tile backer boards?

Jay

acaciaguy

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
I'm doing a rip out and replace job at the moment following water damage in a flat. I have taken the wall back to studs but I have to reboard one wall with sound board as it's a stud wall separating two flats. I will then overboard with backer board and the rest of the walls will be just backerboard (due to weight of tiles)

acaciaguy

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Ain't checked yet but what if it is more than one layer, how does it change things? would i have to replace it with two layers of tile backer boards?

Jay

No, I would leave the base layer and just take off the top one if you can. You should be able to.

OP
R

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
Hi,

Many thanks for all the tips acaciaguy, just a few more things.

Any idea of what size tile backer boards i will need?
Best and cheapest place to buy all this?
What tape will i need to cover the joints?
Does anything need to cover the tape?...i.e plaster?
What's the best screws for the tile back boards?
How to cut the tile backer boards, same as plaster board?

Sorry for all of the questions

Jay

OP
R

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for that link, so far i think i need:

10mm thick boards minimum (need to check what thickness boards are up at the moment)

Self-adhesive alkaline resistant tape

PCS Zinc plated screw with 35mm Galvanised Washer, For use with Delta Boards

Jay

OP
R

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
Also found this info:

FIXING TO STUD PARTITION WALLS
6mm boards are not suitable for fixing to stud walls. For 10mm and 12.5mm thick boards, vertical studs should be set at *300mm centres. For board thickness
of 20mm and above * 400mm centres are suitable. All board edges must be supported by timber noggins and fixed using approximately 15 fixings for a
1200mm x 600mm board or 27 fixings for a 2400mm x 600mm board. PCS 35mm diameter washers must be used under the head of a steel screw
. Screw
down until the washer bites into the board. Tape all joints using a self-adhesive alkaline resistant tape or suitable waterproofing joint sealing system. (* Stud
centres should be set subject to load requirement)

TILE FIXING TO WALLS
Once the adhesive for securing the boards has hardened and all joints have been covered with an alkaline resistant tape or suitable waterproofing joint
system, tiles can then be fixed directly to the board surface.

OP
R

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
248x398 tile size sounds like BCT (British Ceramic Tile) - many tilers would advise against this brand due to quality issues.

Yeah you are spot on, that is the brand i was going for "Brighton Linear Grey wall tile by British Ceramic Tile" now i am back to square one of finding tiles at a decent price:oops:

OP
R

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
They are a decent price.

Just not a decent quality . . . .

Can you recommend a place that do decent quality tiles at a reasonable price, i would not mind buying expensive tiles but this is not my home, it's council owned and i am just decorating it room by room to make it a better home.

All the best

Jay

Reaction score
I would always recommend that you visit your local independent tile shop - but very unlikely that you'll find anything as cheap as how much the (old) Brighton Grey is available online. My goodness - that is cheap!

acaciaguy

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Can I also ask. That price is for tiling only? You need to arrange for shower out and shower in as well as sink out and in?

Boggs

TF
Supporter
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
If you go with the Brighton tiles remember to add 30-40% more to allow for glaze faults, chipped edges and completely different sized tiles I’m talking 2-3mm.

I fit a fair few BCT tiles, they are not all bad but these ones will be.

Keep back all the bad ones and get a refund from where you buy them from.

OP
R

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
No problem. You have the plumbing side etc in order?

Yep, i will be doing that myself, fully researched how to take shower unit off and replace new sink, replaced a sink and toilet in another property i lived in before....will also be putting all new fixtures on the bath and sink.

I have done tiling loads of times, just never done tiling when it comes to removing walls, i would tile it myself but my arthritus says no:(

Old age is starting to kick in, and they say life starts at 40:confused:

Jay

OP
R

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
If you go with the Brighton tiles remember to add 30-40% more to allow for glaze faults, chipped edges and completely different sized tiles I’m talking 2-3mm.

I fit a fair few BCT tiles, they are not all bad but these ones will be.

Keep back all the bad ones and get a refund from where you buy them from.

I have decided to get better tiles as i don't want to spend lots of money getting someone to tile it only to find out the tiles are poorly made, gonna have a look at Brookes tomorrow.

Also how would i know a bad brand over a good brand?

Jay

Reply to Looking to remove tiles in Bathroom (need advice) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer