Discuss Looking to remove tiles in Bathroom (need advice) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
Hi,

Many thanks for all the tips acaciaguy, just a few more things.

Any idea of what size tile backer boards i will need?
Best and cheapest place to buy all this?
What tape will i need to cover the joints?
Does anything need to cover the tape?...i.e plaster?
What's the best screws for the tile back boards?
How to cut the tile backer boards, same as plaster board?

Sorry for all of the questions

Jay

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for that link, so far i think i need:

10mm thick boards minimum (need to check what thickness boards are up at the moment)

Self-adhesive alkaline resistant tape

PCS Zinc plated screw with 35mm Galvanised Washer, For use with Delta Boards

Jay

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
Also found this info:

FIXING TO STUD PARTITION WALLS
6mm boards are not suitable for fixing to stud walls. For 10mm and 12.5mm thick boards, vertical studs should be set at *300mm centres. For board thickness
of 20mm and above * 400mm centres are suitable. All board edges must be supported by timber noggins and fixed using approximately 15 fixings for a
1200mm x 600mm board or 27 fixings for a 2400mm x 600mm board. PCS 35mm diameter washers must be used under the head of a steel screw
. Screw
down until the washer bites into the board. Tape all joints using a self-adhesive alkaline resistant tape or suitable waterproofing joint sealing system. (* Stud
centres should be set subject to load requirement)

TILE FIXING TO WALLS
Once the adhesive for securing the boards has hardened and all joints have been covered with an alkaline resistant tape or suitable waterproofing joint
system, tiles can then be fixed directly to the board surface.

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
248x398 tile size sounds like BCT (British Ceramic Tile) - many tilers would advise against this brand due to quality issues.

Yeah you are spot on, that is the brand i was going for "Brighton Linear Grey wall tile by British Ceramic Tile" now i am back to square one of finding tiles at a decent price:oops:

Romelee

TF
Reaction score
They are a decent price.

Just not a decent quality . . . .

Can you recommend a place that do decent quality tiles at a reasonable price, i would not mind buying expensive tiles but this is not my home, it's council owned and i am just decorating it room by room to make it a better home.

All the best

Jay

Reaction score
I would always recommend that you visit your local independent tile shop - but very unlikely that you'll find anything as cheap as how much the (old) Brighton Grey is available online. My goodness - that is cheap!

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Can I also ask. That price is for tiling only? You need to arrange for shower out and shower in as well as sink out and in?

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If you go with the Brighton tiles remember to add 30-40% more to allow for glaze faults, chipped edges and completely different sized tiles I’m talking 2-3mm.

I fit a fair few BCT tiles, they are not all bad but these ones will be.

Keep back all the bad ones and get a refund from where you buy them from.

Reply to Looking to remove tiles in Bathroom (need advice) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks