• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Looking for advice on cordless grinders in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone been using a cordless angle grinder id like to get as much info before purchasing one. What's the best make and are they really worth it

Boggs

TF
Supporter
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Metabo seem to be a favourite.

Boggs

TF
Supporter
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Any particular reasons for this

I have no personal experience, but followed a previous thread recently that found them to be quality tools.

W

Waluigi

I have no personal experience, but followed a previous thread recently that found them to be quality tools.

Metabo are really well made tools without going into the realms of Hilti and Festool cost wise. That said, any of the top brand grinders are good- Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee etc.

The Metabo with its HD batteries is a notch above, alongside the Flexvolt Dewalt and the Hilti Grinder which are arguably the best on the market

O

One Day

I have the brushless Makita, the body is slim compared to others so it's easier to handle.
I think people generally opt for whatever batteries they already have in other tools.
The most important element for quality though is the blade, and the user!

OP
Balloo

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have the brushless Makita, the body is slim compared to others so it's easier to handle.
I think people generally opt for whatever batteries they already have in other tools.
What size battery for the makita are you using and would a charge last all day

acaciaguy

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score

That’s why I went for the Bosch. I have their cordless impact driver / drill set. Which is great and the battery works in the grinder. I will prob get their cordless jigsaw next

OP
Balloo

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That’s why I went for the Bosch. I have their cordless impact driver / drill set. Which is great and the battery works in the grinder. I will prob get their cordless jigsaw next
Would you recommend buying one or are they not a necessary item for the tool box

D

Dumbo

What size battery for the makita are you using and would a charge last all day
I have a makita. No it won't last all day but that question is a bit like how long is a piece of string .
I use 4 ah batteries with mine although 5ah would be better .
But 2 batteries should keep you out of trouble .

W

Waluigi

Two batteries is enough because explaining the obvious, whilst one is in the tool, the other is in the charger. I think I have five of the Bosch 4ah batteries but that’s my main tooling. Only two of the Metabo.

S

Spare Tool

I use a Makita cordless with 5AH batteries, have three on constant rotation, if your doing stone and use it a lot you can eat a battery before next one has chance to charge up so having three batteries means there's always one fully charged ready to go..

W

Waluigi

I use a Makita cordless with 5AH batteries, have three on constant rotation, if your doing stone and use it a lot you can eat a battery before next one has chance to charge up so having three batteries means there's always one fully charged ready to go..

Good point. If the OP is going for Bosch then my Bosch charger will charge a battery to 80% in 15 minutes so it might be worth going for that one if the budget stretches to only two batteries

Or whichever brand he goes for, get the fast charger

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LM

I had a few of the popular different makes and now have happily settled with Metabo. Best value for money on performance, quality and handling without going into the realms of Hilti imo. Go to MTS Mallusk or Denis Wilson Glenavy @Balloo and get to know them, they’ll look after you and price match the internet for you. It’s handy to be able to leave a tool in under warranty if you ever had an issue rather than having to wait on sending it off etc.

area tiling

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
I use a makita grinder with 4ah batteries and the marcrist blade which is designed for use only on cordless grinders ! Find it a good combination !

OP
Balloo

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I had a few of the popular different makes and now have happily settled with Metabo. Best value for money on performance, quality and handling without going into the realms of Hilti imo. Go to MTS Mallusk or Denis Wilson Glenavy @Balloo and get to know them, they’ll look after you and price match the internet for you. It’s handy to be able to leave a tool in under warranty if you ever had an issue rather than having to wait on sending it off etc.
Did you use the makita brushless, i hope its good cause ive got the makita radio so was going to use the battery for that also

D

Dumbo

Did you use the makita brushless, i hope its good cause ive got the makita radio so was going to use the battery for that also
Apparently Makita brushless draws on battery less as it is brushless . I don't now why I nothing about electrics , but it plus slower at 8500 rpm compared to 10000 rpm. But please check what I'm saying

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
All this charging 3 battery's, using one then swapping it, is there one charged...

What's wrong with an extension cable and a plug..??

S

Spare Tool

All this charging 3 battery's, using one then swapping it, is there one charged...

Then it wouldn't be cordless would it Andy :D
Tbf your right though, just never get the 240v out any more, less cables to be tripping over or cutting through I spoze..

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score

Trip hazard!!!
That’s what happened to me 2 days before Christmas 3 years back and broke both wrists

F

Flintstone

I'm plugging in a mixer anyway so may as well plug grinder in ! I can see its merits for a one off cut tho etc

Reply to Looking for advice on cordless grinders in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer