Search the forum,

Discuss leveling over floor tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

shaundaly

Hi All,

I have a job to do for a contractor and they have told me to self level over the top of existing floor tiles and then lay the new ceramics. I would assume that the existing tiles are ceramic or porcelain.

My question is simple. Can you apply levelers over tiles and if so would you seal with BAL APD or SBR before leveling :huh2:

Thanks for any help

Shaun

A

andersontiling

hi, how come your levelling on top of tiles??did the last fixer make such a poor job?if the tiles are clean and solid tile over the top...cheaper

G

Gazzatile

The question is why are you tiling over them and what is underneath them as you would expect floor tiles to be flat

D

DHTiling

Even better , take them up...you cannot guarantee the integrity of the previous installation and then you have to guarantee your installation on top of the old one....

Pull them up IMO...

M

medlar

I am with the lads on this 1 mate,it seems to me that if they want you to self level over existing tiles they are trying to hide something,actually you would be hiding something as it would be your name on the job.Remove the tiles,check the subtrate and repair if neccesary then re-tile

Jimmy

D

DERBER

Even better , take them up...you cannot guarantee the integrity of the previous installation and then you have to guarantee your installation on top of the old one....

Pull them up IMO...

Exactly. Best answer Dave.
icon14.gif

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
To answer your question you can use slc over sound tiles on a solid base,
check with manufacturer which type to use eg mapeis ultraplan. do not tile over tiles on a wooden substrate. it is preferable to lift tiles if possible...

S

shaundaly

Thanks guys,I agree with lifting the tiles, but I have not seen the job and am just doing what they are asking. I am guessing that the old tiles have been laid badly and the home owner wants it leveled, so the contractor has said that I will self level it. If it's not to bad I will just bed out with rapid set as I go along.I am a kitchen fitter by trade but do my own tiling. The kitchen company I am fitting for covers all aspects of the kitchen such as tiling, electrics etc. They are not experts at tiling so thats why I ask you guys because some of the stuff they want me to do is nonsense.As long as it is possible to do, ie, there are no reactions or the slc does not stick to tiles then thats all I need to know. I suppose if they have charged the home owner for it, I gotta do it.CheersShaun

D

DHTiling

Shaun...if these are glazed/gloss tiles then rapid set will NOT stick to them.....It needs to be a highly flexible adhesive to stick......

Reply to leveling over floor tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen