Search the forum,

Discuss Large project advice please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

samlwind

Hi

New to the forum and I have a large (to me) project to undertake.

Firstly I am looking for 80 x 80 porcelain concrete effect tiles. Can anyone point me in the direction of where the trade would get these or even how to import some? I have been to the usual places and found some I like at £45m2.

I need approx 130m2 including an R11 option for tiling a balcony.

Also can anyone recommend a decent tile cutter? I have a large carriage type wet cutter but this is time consuming. I saw a video here where they cut xxl format tiles with a guide (bit like a plunge saw) and then stuck a batten underneath and used pliers to snap the tile. Thought that was a good idea instead of buying a heavy and expensive scratch and snap type.

Thanks in advance Sam

B

Blunt Tool

Hi Welcome Sam, are you a tiler? I would strongly suggest if you are not get a good one on board, don't spend thousands on tiles materials and equipment and still end up with a potential botch job, relax and leave it to a professional and enjoy

S

samlwind

Hi,

I am a builder and have done quite a lot of tiling before. I have the Luxury that this is my house that I am building. I can take my time etc.

B

Blunt Tool

Go to your local tile shops, buying that amount plus all the materials you will need and equipment should give you a good barter,
As a builder you know yourself that projects are often started with the best intentions, I cook a meal now and then for the wife, quite good at it but still wouldn't do a catering job for a 130 guest wedding party.

S

samlwind

Ok thanks..i was going to rip some down and use them as skirting ( haven't decided yet) and generally it's harder to get a nice straight cut with one... what blade would you recommend btw?
Thanks

G

GoneGuy

If our looking for a decent blade try forum sponser @ATSDiamondTools.
I would shop around and maybe try small family run tile shop s they will likely be able to offer good discount on an order that size, if not try CTD as @timeless john mentioned and then oh can get points/vouchers back on purchase of tiles which could pay for the materials.

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If our looking for a decent blade try forum sponser @ATSDiamondTools.
I would shop around and maybe try small family run tile shop s they will likely be able to offer good discount on an order that size, if not try CTD as @timeless john mentioned and then oh can get points/vouchers back on purchase of tiles which could pay for the materials.
Hi Adey C.T.D is a mainly a trade referred business, the points you mention are for trade only.The voucher scheme is were a tiler gives a customer 20% of his discount
and he keeps the rest.

Reply to Large project advice please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen