Search the forum,

Discuss Large format, small bathroom! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
He was stood there for 2-3hrs a day Andy!
He was a nice enough guy, he'd invested a lot of time and effort in designing his room, and it'd cost a pretty penny, so I didn't mind too much.
I don't mind customers watching me I love a good chat I do haha

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Top work again Marc, looks like toilet and bathroom knocked into one. Done a few of those and I hate the fact you have 2 small windows instead of one largeish one. :handok:

O

Old Mod

Lovely job Marc, what sort of time frame did that involve?
Cheers Lee, well the client had very specific ideas on the look he wanted to achieve, so longer than you'd want it to, as always. :)
So everyday some of the time was taken up by either explaining why that idea would or wouldn't work and then discussing the next step to be taken.
Even when it came down to explaining the procedure for the UFH.
He'd already purchased everything from research he'd done!!
So we all know how that turns out!:confused:
He'd even purchased plastic ply because he'd worked out that the floor needed lifting by 2mm!
Shame you can't use it with electric UFH eh! Haha
(It actually had to be lifted 12mm, he hadn't factored in that the tiles weren't exactly 600mm high.)
So you can see what a painful process it was going to be.
It was a third floor flat with all materials stored in his garage 200m away, and no lift! Good start!
The box for the radiator for example, in his original idea it was built with it to the left of centre so that the right hand reveal of the window was flush with the left face of the box, this meant the rad would overhang the right side of the box!
I'm sorry, but I couldn't let that happen, and it took a few days to convince him that he was making a mistake, then it was the couple of days waiting for him to move it.
I also had to tell him exactly where to move it to, to the mm.
every part had to be explained in detail, he had to understand it before he'd let me continue and deviate from his original idea.
I wanted a closer over the door instead of the L cuts so I could just take factory edges straight up either side of the door because he refused to use trim or architrave, he wouldn't budge on that so I had to polish back the L cuts in to something acceptable.
And so it continued..... the micrometer was a good touch tho!
I have broken a few set out rules, but that's where I couldn't convince him otherwise, he was having none of it. Haha
The only wall that wasn't boarded over was the new door wall, he's having a pocket door fitted.
Had to board all around the windows too.
And took two days off in the middle to do another job.
So start to finish, including the two days off, it was 10days.
It didn't matter tho, I'd already picked up on how challenging this was going to be, and had priced it accordingly. So for once, it really didn't matter how long it took, and I could give him all the attention he desired to achieve his look.
And no, it wasn't daywork, it was on price.
I must admit tho, I actually think it looks stunning, he had a pretty good vision of what he wanted to achieve, and it worked, with a little tweaking.

Ooow sorry about that, didn't realise I'd said so much! Haha
You can tell I've not been posting lately haha

O

Old Mod

Top work again Marc, looks like toilet and bathroom knocked into one. Done a few of those and I hate the fact you have 2 small windows instead of one largeish one. :handok:
Appreciate that John, thanks
Yeah it is, it's a small apartment block built in the 70's.

O

Old Mod

Intrigued as to the type of door he's putting in then given he doesnt want Arci' . Some sort of fancy door lining?

Diggy
It's a sliding door diggy, there's a recess on the left side opp bath which it slides in to.
There's just a plain timber lining that comes to the back of the tile. But he wanted the tile to completely cover the lining.

L

LM

A lot of people might not appreciate what's involved in delivering that quality of work Marc, first class delivery by the way..
That's why I asked how long it took.
Pricing jobs like that needs to be right or they can be a disaster.
Was the customer an engineer by any chance?

Reply to Large format, small bathroom! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen