Search the forum,

Discuss Large format, small bathroom! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm on phase 2 of my car storage project and I've had a load of banter with the builders outside. They keep asking how many tiles I've laid today and so on. It's backfired on them though, they've been rushing to get things done and building regs have pulled them for putting top water and foul water in same drain. They've had to cut out 40 linear metres of concrete and pipework and replace at their own cost and time. I've just been going in to work on a morning and asking them each day if they're getting paid or are they working for free that day. Funny how they keep quiet after that. It's not always about speed but that's a different thread that we've been over many times haha

Reaction score
Truly impressive 3fall. I have had a few micrometer customers lately, but many of them buy variable sized tiles! If @Dan runs a "Job of the Year" competition, I will reserve you my vote. :thumbsup:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Haha @andy8578 don't you know the secret for making tiles that are a mm or so different in size all the same….?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Put the tiles in warm water and bicarb of soda overnight with the correct size of tile on the top. The tiles below will stretch to the required size due to the absorption in the lower tiles. It will not affect the top tile. Problem solved.

Penguin

TF
Reaction score
I must admit tho, I actually think it looks stunning, he had a pretty good vision of what he wanted to achieve, and it worked, with a little tweaking.

Thank you for posting pics of your work. It looks stunning and is exactly the look I want in my bathroom. I want to put in 1200x600 tiles into a small room and there will only be 2 full tiles in the whole room. I have been looking at pics of layouts in small rooms and it looks great even without the full tiles.

May I just please ask what you use to cut the L shape tile around the door?

I've had experience of bad L shape cuts in porcelain before with chips and uneven edges (a general installer, not a tiler) This time around I want it to look good. I can see from your work it is possible to get a good finish. I just wondered what it is that makes it possible - tools, skill, tile quality ?

O

Old Mod

Thank you for posting pics of your work. exactly the look I want in my bathroom.

what you use to cut the L shape

. I can see from your work it is possible to get a good finish. I just wondered what it is that makes it possible - tools, skill, tile quality ?

Im glad it's been able to help you visualise your own bathroom, that's kool.

I use an angle grinder with a good quality porcelain specific cutting blade.
On that one in particular I think I used a
Markrist AkkuMAX
They're around £35-40.

The last question is a multiple answer........
All of the above! :rolleyes:
I cut the shape first and then polished the porcelain back to achieve the finish. Difficult without the correct equipment and practise. It would depend how good you need the finish, and where the tile was going and what was visible.
If you're able to explain in detail what you want to achieve, maybe we can give you options.

Penguin

TF
Reaction score
Im glad it's been able to help you visualise your own bathroom, that's kool.

I use an angle grinder with a good quality porcelain specific cutting blade.
On that one in particular I think I used a
Markrist AkkuMAX
They're around £35-40.

The last question is a multiple answer........
All of the above! :rolleyes:
I cut the shape first and then polished the porcelain back to achieve the finish. Difficult without the correct equipment and practise. It would depend how good you need the finish, and where the tile was going and what was visible.
If you're able to explain in detail what you want to achieve, maybe we can give you options.

This time around I am using a good installer for the bathroom with their own tiler who only tiles. I am confident they will do a good job but I am a detail person, a bit like your customer ;) I even checked that they had quoted enough for the tiling because I know it is not going to be a quick job with what I have chosen.

It is a shower bath, the blue wall and bath panel will be all mosaic. Sicis clear glass paperface 15mm x 4mm. The shelf/boxing will be built out from the original wall to house lighting. I had originally planned to put 300mm x 1200mm porcelain on the adjacent walls (as in drawing) so that a 300mm tiles fitted in line with the boxed area. I don't want to see cut mosaics on the front of the boxing, so the measurements would all have to be very precise to ensure it all aligned correctly with the 300mm wall tile and 2mm grout.

My installer tells me that in the real world :D it may not work out like that once they rip the bathroom out and see what they are working with so I was thinking if I use a 600mm tile instead, this tile can have a L shape cut to fix the boxing area. Of course, I want it to look neat but it will have to have silicone put on it.

I really like the idea of 600mm tiles because I love the look of them. I think how you have them in your photos, 3 high above a bath, looks stunning.

IMG_0001.jpg

Reply to Large format, small bathroom! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen