Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen refit gone wrong (poor tiling) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
If it had been used to fix the tiles it is a complete disaster. However it looks from the photos like your tiler has used the ready mixed adhesive bucket to mix up the grout (alot of us do similar). If it has been used to fix the tiles it will result in a failed floor sooner or later and yes, could well have helped cause your issues.

Thanks for that, there's 2 empty tubs, of the same stuff (One as you say appears to have been used to mix the grout in, but not the other, which only confirms my suspicions, that's what he's used, given it was only a floor that was being tiled (no walls)

D

Dumbo

Thanks for that, there's 2 empty tubs, of the same stuff (One as you say appears to have been used to mix the grout in, but not the other, which only confirms my suspicions, that's what he's used, given it was only a floor that was being tiled (no walls)
Again he could of used it to mix floor adhesive . We all used to do it years ago when we also did a lot more small wall tiling . Tilers very rarely bought buckets,Now any time I need one I have to buy one .

Reaction score
Again he could of used it to mix floor adhesive . We all used to do it years ago when we also did a lot more small wall tiling . Tilers very rarely bought buckets,Now any time I need one I have to buy one .

Possibly, a bit odd you'd take away the floor adhesive tubs and leave 2 empty wall tile adhesive tubs on a job with no wall tiles

Reaction score
So, a wee update (Thanks to those who replied)

Tiler came over on Friday, he then heard first hand the noise coming from the tiles...He couldn't explain it. I just got a blank look when I asked why the tiles were running off in several places.

Had a bit of a ding dong on the phone with the joiner, who is still of the opinion it's a decent job. He's saying they used 1/4 ply, screwed at 100mm centres.

He then backed down a bit saying he'd get the tiler to replace any tiles i'm unhappy with (only about 99% of them !!), to be honest i've no idea where you'd start & finish with that, the tiling was done after the units were fitted, but i now have a Krion base unit gable & Krion breakfast bar on top of the tiles, which I assume would be nigh on impossible to remove.

As an aside I have a friend who's a surveyor, popped in to see me tonight for a look, he's a bit bemused as to what the actual issue is, but he felt some movement & heard noises at random times. He thinks it could be an adhesive issue, but most certainly a poor tiling job, and says like me, he wouldn't be happy to accept it either.

Really dunno what the next step is.

D

Dumbo

So, a wee update (Thanks to those who replied)

Tiler came over on Friday, he then heard first hand the noise coming from the tiles...He couldn't explain it. I just got a blank look when I asked why the tiles were running off in several places.

Had a bit of a ding dong on the phone with the joiner, who is still of the opinion it's a decent job. He's saying they used 1/4 ply, screwed at 100mm centres.

He then backed down a bit saying he'd get the tiler to replace any tiles i'm unhappy with (only about 99% of them !!), to be honest i've no idea where you'd start & finish with that, the tiling was done after the units were fitted, but i now have a Krion base unit gable & Krion breakfast bar on top of the tiles, which I assume would be nigh on impossible to remove.

As an aside I have a friend who's a surveyor, popped in to see me tonight for a look, he's a bit bemused as to what the actual issue is, but he felt some movement & heard noises at random times. He thinks it could be an adhesive issue, but most certainly a poor tiling job, and says like me, he wouldn't be happy to accept it either.

Really dunno what the next step is.
1/4 ply is to thin . British standard for ply overlay is 15 mm glued and screwed at 100mm centres .

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If the tiles were layed directly onto 6mm ply the floor will crack up , if ditra mat or backer board was used it will probably crack up!

Reply to Kitchen refit gone wrong (poor tiling) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen