• Thread starter Blunt Tool
  • Start date
  • Replies 22
  • Views 4K

Discuss Kind of sums it up nowadays in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Blunt Tool

IMG_0322.JPG

B

Bill

I can remember when labour m2 cost more than all tiles m2...... I can remember when grout didn't cost more than adhesive per kg.

T

Time's Ran Out

TJ Can remember when dinosaurs roamed the earth !
Yes - I saw Jurassic Park!

My Dad bought his first private property in 1958 for £1500 / a bungalow. We moved about 10 times around the country in the next 20 years, even living in a tent for the summer holidays in 1965 while his house was finalised. When he died 3 years ago at 90 he'd helped every one of his 3 sons get onto the property market - that's what having a family means!

F

Flintstone

I think it depends where you live, if you are around London and other southern areas then buying a house is probably impossible but if your up North it's possible if you want it

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Bought my first house for 27 grand ...a 1 bed terrace......sold that and bought the house I'm in now.......3 bed semi for 51 grand......ive paid the mortgage off ....which allows me more andysdays !!
However I feel sorry for my kids I don't feel they will have the same opportunities I did......and fear we will become a country of renters......rather than home owners..

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It is tough now to buy a house I'm in the south, I work my arse off to pay my rent and all bills so the Mrs can put her nurses wage ( appalling low for what she does) into savings and it's going to take about 2 years before we have a 20% deposit on a 3 bed house.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Bought my first house for 27 grand ...a 1 bed terrace......sold that and bought the house I'm in now.......3 bed semi for 51 grand......ive paid the mortgage off ....which allows me more andysdays !!
However I feel sorry for my kids I don't feel they will have the same opportunities I did......and fear we will become a country of renters......rather than home owners..

Just remortgage Andy and then you can give a deposit to each of your children, and work until you're 80!!!!

O

One Day

Problems started when
1) The governments relaxed on the banks and they went crazy with lending to everyone and anyone who could make an X on a paper.
2) People started treating houses as investments rather than homes.
The housing / credit / car finance etc bubble should have burst in 2007 but fiscal diarrhoea (quantitive easing) has delayed it.....

(it's all a house of cards you know?!) o_O

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
And anyone who couldn't see that there was going to be a financial crash must have been blind and stupid. How could you ever sustain lending people 5x combined salaries for mortgages, it was always going to burst, I'm surprised it wasn't much earlier.

Reply to Kind of sums it up nowadays in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks