Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Keraquick + 600x600 Porcelain + Andhydrite Screed - UFH DISASTER! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

kevin.pritchard

Hello Tile Gurus :)

I have already laid about 35m2 of 600x600 porcelain tiles onto a very dry (2 years drying time) anhydrite screed. I used Mapei Keraquick with a notched trowel and allowed 2 months before turning on wet UFH. The were solid as a rock.

Within days of having the heating on, several tiles began to sound hollow and eventually rattle.

To cut a long story short, I'm having to rip the lot up, clean the tiles and scrape the floor. NIGHTMARE!

What alternative approach should I take to this in terms of adhesive, prep etc.?

I am thinking, as belt an braces, to just go for BAL Single Part Fastflex (seems to be very elasticated?), but it's going to cost around £350-£400! The Keraquick was only about £90.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers,
Kev

I

Ian

Good morning Kevin. A couple of questions about the prep, was the laitence sanded off the screed before tiling? And was the UFH commissioned? Also, was a moisture test performed? With regards to the adhesive, anhyfix from tilemaster is a gypsum based adhesive and is specifically designed to work with these screeds. You may have a stockist closer to you but, I use tiletown in Derby for my tilemaster products, they deliver nationwide and have a service that is second to none. Here is a link to the product on their website Tilemaster Anhyfix, Gypsum Based, Flexible, Rapid Setting Floor and Wall Tile Adhesive

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
just to add was the floor primed, and how soon was the heating turned on after tiling, and was the heating turned on low to begin with and turned up slowly over a period of time..

K

kevin.pritchard

was the laitence sanded off the screed before tiling?
No, not sanded, but the screed has been down for 2 years and has had a lot of traffic and has been scraped with a floor scraper about 20 times over. Floor was scraped and hoovered prior to laying.

was a moisture test performed?
No. I presumed that after 2 years of heating would dry the slab well and truly!

anhyfix from tilemaster is a gypsum based adhesive and is specifically designed to work with these screeds
Will this cope well with the daily expansion and contraction of a heated slab? Thank you for the link :)

just to add was the floor primed, and how soon was the heating turned on after tiling, and was the heating turned on low to begin with and turned up slowly over a period of time..
Floor wasn't primed. Heating was turned on 2 months after tiling. It was on for about 3 hours one evening at a flow temp of around 46ºC. The following evening, heating wasn't turned on. A few tiles at this point began to show signs of loss of bonding.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kevin.pritchard

Hopefully this photo will help matters.

photo.jpg

I

Ian

From the photo it looks like there is no bond between the adhesive and the screed and also very little bond between the tile and the adhesive. I'd say you've used an 8mm trowel and not backskimmed the tiles which hasn't given you a solid bed. Anhyfix is the best product to use IMO and yes, it is suitable for heated screeds. Have a read through the PDF on my previous link.

K

kevin.pritchard

From the photo it looks like there is no bond between the adhesive and the screed and also very little bond between the tile and the adhesive. I'd say you've used an 8mm trowel and not backskimmed the tiles which hasn't given you a solid bed. Anhyfix is the best product to use IMO and yes, it is suitable for heated screeds. Have a read through the PDF on my previous link.

8mm yep - too little? :(

Not backskimmed - you're right. I've probably ballsed the whole thing :(

So the Keraquick is not to blame?

If i strip the whole area, prime, 10mm trowel, back skim tiles, you think i'll be solid for good?

Thank Bri. Much appreciated.

I

Ian

I always start with a 10mm and backskim the tiles, if the floor is a bit up and down a 12mm may be necessary. You really need to remove the lot and start from scratch. Get the floor sanded and hoovered, prime, then tile with anhyfix. Don't forget to backskim the tiles to fill in the waffles and lift every other tile to ensure the ribs in the adhesive have collapsed and you have a solid bed.

K

kevin.pritchard

Cheers mate. I'll do that and will also mix Mapei Latex Plus with the adhesive as a precaution.

K

kevin.pritchard

Nooooo, don't mix anything with it. Just the adhesive and water. Read the PDF and instructions before you start.

Sorry, I've just read the link and Adhyfix is an adhesive, not primer. D'oh! I'm with you now :)

Any primer in particular? Tilemaster Adhesives do a Primeplus and Flexmaster Primer.

K

kevin.pritchard

Prime plus is the one I use, mixed 3 parts water to 1 part primer.

Brill. So this is the P.O.A...

1. Take up tiles
2. Sand, scrape and vacuum.
3. Prime floor with Prime Plus
4. Anhyfix with 10mm notched trowel and 1mm back butter
5. Leave for a month and slowly introduce heat.
6. Rock solid forever.

Hopefully!

K

kevin.pritchard

Hmm.. Just read this:

"Anhyfix will be 100% compatible with anhydrite / calcium sulphate and can be applied directly without having to prime."

Reply to Keraquick + 600x600 Porcelain + Andhydrite Screed - UFH DISASTER! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks