• Thread starter BuyBrandTools
  • Start date
  • Replies 6
  • Views 119
  • usa
Search the forum,

Discuss Is the credit crunch affecting you? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BuyBrandTools

How is the credit crunch affecting you guys. I know the amount of site work is down due to their being limited new builds. Are you finding that there is still work due to people renovating rather than moving?

How much work do you have on?

When it comes to buying tools, are you cutting back i.e. buying cheaper or not buying at all?

I would really appreciate as much feedback as possible.

Thanks

Neil

W

wetdec

I think for once the people out there who havnt been able to get a mortgage are the lucky ones ! The majority of people with morgages saw pound signs when offered equity and forgot it wasnt their money, now when things are getting sticky they have debts they cant afford. Those who kept a level head are now the only ones with money to spend but there arnt enough of them to go around I dont think.

Everyone is feeling the increases in fuel and food prices but buy with fear that things are going to get worse which I think they are........ As a result many people dont have the orders they would like especialy one man band tilers who have little they can chop off their businesses to save money.

Buying tools is luxury once you have your basic kit unless starting out so I would expect to see your area taking a clout but would hope you saw this comming....

tiler

dptiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i dont do any site work. but there is a lot of tilers coming off site, and thats is taking a bit of work .

i personaly have got loads of day work with a local millionare who just built one of daughters a house next to him and refurbed a house on the other side of him. he has just riped out his own house. so happy days.

which is good for me as not a massive amount of work coming in.
as for tools i buy as i need. mosty replace .
have found mostly that i have all the tools i need, after 20 years.

G

Grace'sDad

Personally I'm booked up for 7 weeks ahead with enquiries still coming in most days. Recently got on with Topps as an approved fitter and this is contributing about 40% of my work right now. Of course, this is great now, but if Topps' business drops off....

I have work with some people moving house but the majority are deciding to stay put and do up / renovate. I think because I've concentrated on developing work in the middle range to seriously-wealthy market I think I am cushioned somewhat by having customers with a bit more disposable cash.

My feelings are that the economy is screwed royally. I'm not normally a pessimist, but after the "party days" of the past 10 years, I think we are seriously heading towards a 1930s style depression, or at best a deep prolonged recession (if they can create another war to prop the US/UK economies). The governments have allowed house price inflation to rocket stupidly, making millions of working class people feel like wealthy middle class. Houses are homes, but instead they have been used as ATMs / Overdraft facilties (how many of us know people who stuck a BMW on the mortgage?) This is just one aspect of the mess we're in though. I am just hoping that the sh*t hits the fan well before my fixed rate ends! I'm hoping there will be some "solution" before then.

As for spending on tools and everything else, I'm being more careful than ever. Only buying what I really, really need whereas I used to buy what I wanted and thought I needed!

It's going to be an interesting year this one!

One thing's for sure - we now have none of the certainties our parents had :icon9:

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
People are panicking at the moment as to the future......house sales as you know have gone boobs up, so the hope is people will stay put and do up there own places.

As for tools, I buy as and when I need.

Have had to cut back in recent weeks due to being messed about over the last 6 weeks..........out of my control..........tiles not turning up, plumbers & plasterers etc etc.........so cash not flowing as normal, and trying to play catch up a lot at the mo.:whatchutalkingabout

U

uug197h

we are booked up until mid September and still quoting it seems the jobs that are being booked at the moment are the larger jobs (bed rooms to en-suites or full referb's with every thing changing places in the bathrooms)

for tools we are replacing as we go just changed some small items 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, grout fl [FONT=&quot][/FONT]oats, diamond bits. but we are looking to get a new wet cutter next we are doing [FONT=&quot]travertine fot the next 4 weeks and have an huscavana rail cutter for that, but the standard wet cutter needs replacing within the 4 weeks,
every one likes cheaper things but you get what you pay for why buy cheap tools and replace them again in 6 months (buy cheap pay twice), pay for quality items and they will last
[/FONT]

W

White Room

Allway's think when buying tools wether I really need it or not, Will go for the better end of the market. Hav'nt had the really big tiles to deal with (800) but when it happens I,ll either hire if poss or buy but will shop around, Again, Go for the higher end of the market. Never bought a house but some of the morgage repayments some peeps are telling me there paying would frighten the life out of me, It's great to own your own property but at what cost???

Reply to Is the credit crunch affecting you? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen