Search the forum,

Discuss Is it possible to remove milky acid stains from marble tiles? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

parsonl

TF
Reaction score
Hi members, I wonder if anyone can please help?

I've tiled a patio in France and, due to the fading light and weather, I didn't clean off all of the grout (which is a rough, granular type bought locally). The tiles are an uneven surface marble pitted with quite a few holes that also needed filling to prevent frost damage. First mistake - don't buy this type. Anyway, the next morning I struggled to remove the dried grout. I used a wallpaper scraper and also scrubbed them hard with water but they were still stained. The shop also sold me a tin of the French equivalent of Lithofin MN Builder's Clean to remove any excess grout. I was assured it was fine for marble. Second mistake - always read the small details on the back, even if they're in French. So I used this and it seemed to do the trick until the tiles dried...leaving milky white stains where the chemical first hit the tiles. I now know it's acidic and has ruined the appearance totally.

Searching the internet for solutions, I found suggestions for baking soda and ammonia to counteract the acidity. Neither worked. So I'm left with a nicely tiled patio with a surface I've completely cocked up. I leave for home in 5 days and I don't want to put sealer over this mess. I think the damage is well done but would really appreciate any suggestions to remedy this problem. Thanks for your time.
PS: I can't access the internet every day unfortunately due to being in the back of beyond but will be back on-line in a day or two.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi , after burning into the surface of the marble with the builders clean (never to be used on Marble) . to re surface this may be tricky, if you have a very uneven surface. you may be able to run several grades of burnishing pad if the damage is light although you will poss have areas of no contact, if you have to cut in with diamonds you will obviously start to flatten out the floor. do you have any pics we could all look at. also a pic of an unlaid tile so we can see the extent of the damage.

perhaps you could use an enhancer if evenly damaged ( this is mostly not poss)

parsonl

TF
Reaction score
Hi Bob, thanks very much for your reply. I have some pics but can't send them now as I'm using a public pc. I'm home late next week so will see if I can work out how to add them. I think the damage is already done and I have to make the most of it. I need to seal them before I leave which will also make it more difficult when I return next summer if I can find a remedy. Cheers again.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
do send your pics in ,as can then advise, may be able to powder polish this out , does depend on damage and finish. sure it can be sorted, we can release seal, don't worry about that.

Reply to Is it possible to remove milky acid stains from marble tiles? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen