Search the forum,

Discuss Insulation boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

barnsleyduane

Hi everyone

I have an understairs toilet and I need to tile the floor.

I am going to treat the floor with an epoxy based liquid DPM before tiling with sand thrown on for key.

The big question is should I put down an insulation board for better insulation (no point doing ufh as its just a downstairs toilet) but I would like to increase the warmth if poss.

Does anyone have any recommendations of which is a good board to use?

Should I bother at all?

Also any other tips on best adhesive and grouts to use for this type of job would be greatly appreciated.

S

Stan001

duane - not 100% sure what you are after , but ....
Give Celotex a call, Ive used it in combination with the underfloor heating on top of vapour barrier over block and beam, and also on the vertical standings around the floor slabs, explain what you want to do to them and they can tell you if its worth doing and indicate your new u value would be. I think its what you need. Jewsons stock it.
They are at ...
(link removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

If you have a chat with our sponsors Uheat, they will be able to give you info on the correct board for your application. You will not need to use the epoxy DPM as their boards are waterproof anyway and they are fixed using tile adhesive and screws.:thumbsup:

B

barnsleyduane

If you have a chat with our sponsors Uheat, they will be able to give you info on the correct board for your application. You will not need to use the epoxy DPM as their boards are waterproof anyway and they are fixed using tile adhesive and screws.:thumbsup:

Thanks Grumpy Grouter I will have a look at UHEAT as well a Celotex as recommended by Stan.

I have already done the surface epoxy DPM as I had already got it through work free of charge.

I would rather not use a board that needs to be screwed as I do not want to have to penetrate the surface DPM.

What sort of adhesive should I use if using insulation and if not using insulation ie straight onto sand blinded epoxy dpm

Cheers for any help:dizzy2:

B

barnsleyduane

powder addy like ardex ,mapie, bal, :thumbsup:

Thanks Gooner,
By powder take it you mean an adhesive that is mixed with water rather than pre mixed is this right?

Also should it be cemment based and is it better to use a flexible adhesive?

Cheers

G

grumpygrouter

Thanks Gooner,
By powder take it you mean an adhesive that is mixed with water rather than pre mixed is this right?

Also should it be cemment based and is it better to use a flexible adhesive?

Cheers
I assume your floor is not timber?

Reply to Insulation boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen