Search the forum,

Discuss insulating a flat roof ceiling ?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

paulyoung666

put the insulation between the joists or at 90 degress to it , i have space and to do either , just wondering what would be the best way , i was thinking at 90 degrees to the joists but am i right :yikes:

M

mikethetile

No it wouldnt , sometimes its easier to keep them up as gravity doesnt take over

its not done like that because its time consuming cutting each bit to length

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
No it wouldnt , sometimes its easier to keep them up as gravity doesnt take over

its not done like that because its time consuming cutting each bit to length

Exactly, not wrong just time, it might be easier for you that way if your working on your own, then wedge them in, otherwise, some sort of retainer might be needed.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I just got some advice on this from building control. They said if it is unvented then go in between the joists but leave an air gap then place a vapour barrier on the warm side before plasterboarding (or what ever)

If it is a vented roof then there are actually regs covering the size of air gap and the depth of insulation and you would probably have to go with a rigid board insulation rather than a mineral wool. You still go with the joists. For added insulation I was told to place a further 25mm of polyurethane (cellotex) board on the underside of the joists. Tape the joints and this acts as the vapour barrier. The plasterboard as normal.

I of course am ignoring all of this advice and doing my own thing.........

P

paulyoung666

the reason i was thinking of going across the joists is that the rolls of insulation are in a bag to avoid all the nastiness associated with fibreglass and they are 5 metre rolls , the room is 5 metres long ...............

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
the reason i was thinking of going across the joists is that the rolls of insulation are in a bag to avoid all the nastiness associated with fibreglass and they are 5 metre rolls , the room is 5 metres long ...............

Lost me there Paul, are you saying ypu want to follow inbetween the joists ie follow the full 5 m with the 5m roll or cut into strips of 300mm +/- ?

P

paulyoung666

Lost me there Paul, are you saying ypu want to follow inbetween the joists ie follow the full 5 m with the 5m roll or cut into strips of 300mm +/- ?

it is joisted narrow , i want to use the 5 metre roll across the joists along the length of the room if that makes sense :lol:

M

mikethetile

the insulation needs to go between the joists otherwise you cant fix your boards to the underside of the joists

Reply to insulating a flat roof ceiling ?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen