Search the forum,

Discuss How do you soundproof a wooden floor in a first floor flat? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MattyHodge

I need to tile a kitchen and bathroom in a first floor flat with wooden floors, so they need to be soundproofed to comply with the changes to regs 2004 part E (resistance to the passage of sound). Does anyone know how to do this and where the products can be found to do it?

I have read that you need to put down an underlay on top of your ply base and then pour an acoustic self-levelling compound on top to tile on. Is this absolutely necessary or are there other alternatives?

Also, what manufacturers would you recommend for any necessary products?

Hope to hear from someone soon!

Thanks!

Matt

M

MattyHodge

Ok, thanks fo rthat, I'll have a look. What about the self-levelling acoustic compound - is that absolutely necessary?

R

Rich

Hello there.

This is something I have not looked into to be honest, have you tried doing a search on here (the search bar is on the top right hand side of your page)? Might drag up some useful posts.

P.S Dont forget to thank Kilty above by clicking his "thanks" button at the bottom of his posts :thumbsup:

M

MattyHodge

OK, Kilty and Rich - thank you both for your replies.

Kilty, I have seen the Weber.sys, but it's quite an expensive solution. The PCI Polysilent Plus looks like a more cost effective solution to me, so I'll probably go with that.

Thanks again!

Matt

T

trevortine

Bal also do an adhesive called accoustibond, never used it so dont know how it performs, might be worth a look.

D

DHTiling

Hi Matty and welcome...

Have any sound tests been performed, you will need to know what level you have to be at to know which product will perform for the project in hand..

You might simply be able to use an acoustic membrane or indeed have to use a thicker sound deadening mat ... worth checking what sound levels you have to achieve..

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It will be pretty difficult to retrofit a timber floor with acoustics in order to comply with part l. The acoustics should be taken into account in the structure. There are two elements to consider in meeting the regs. They are sound transmission due to impact, I.e. if you tap dance in your flat or drop your hammer regularly. Impact sound is generally dealt with using isolates such as acoustic mats and battens. The other is airborne sound transmission which is sound from your stereo or the television. Some units such as washing machines and the like cause both.

There are acoustic underplays you can use but these tend only to deal with impact sound. Airborne is usually dealt with by adding mass or air gaps to provide mass spring mass spring mass systems........

You could look to the insulation suppliers like collects or thermal economics and monarfloor for solutions.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Also kitchens and bathrooms are not usually tested. Tests are carried out in living areas such as lounge, hall and bedrooms.

Reply to How do you soundproof a wooden floor in a first floor flat? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen