Currently reading:
How do you soundproof a wooden floor in a first floor flat?

Search the forum,

Discuss How do you soundproof a wooden floor in a first floor flat? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MattyHodge

I need to tile a kitchen and bathroom in a first floor flat with wooden floors, so they need to be soundproofed to comply with the changes to regs 2004 part E (resistance to the passage of sound). Does anyone know how to do this and where the products can be found to do it?

I have read that you need to put down an underlay on top of your ply base and then pour an acoustic self-levelling compound on top to tile on. Is this absolutely necessary or are there other alternatives?

Also, what manufacturers would you recommend for any necessary products?

Hope to hear from someone soon!

Thanks!

Matt

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
It will be pretty difficult to retrofit a timber floor with acoustics in order to comply with part l. The acoustics should be taken into account in the structure. There are two elements to consider in meeting the regs. They are sound transmission due to impact, I.e. if you tap dance in your flat or drop your hammer regularly. Impact sound is generally dealt with using isolates such as acoustic mats and battens. The other is airborne sound transmission which is sound from your stereo or the television. Some units such as washing machines and the like cause both.

There are acoustic underplays you can use but these tend only to deal with impact sound. Airborne is usually dealt with by adding mass or air gaps to provide mass spring mass spring mass systems........

You could look to the insulation suppliers like collects or thermal economics and monarfloor for solutions.

Reply to How do you soundproof a wooden floor in a first floor flat? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.