Search the forum,

Discuss Homebase plywood recommendation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

afright

TF
Reaction score
I have just finished a bathroom,walls and floor using 600 x 300 porcelain which the customer bought from Homebase.The customer laid the plywood floor ,when I told him that the ply was not suitable he said that,s what Homebase recommend on reading the packing it states that flooring should be plywood to the thickness of 9mm.The customer would not remove the ply so I laid Ditra over the top,is Homebase right in recommending this thickness ? I for one always go for a thickness of a least 15mm and then still try to use Ditra,just would like other tilers opinion on this.

P

Perry

Homebase wouldn't have a clue the costumer should of asked the brick wall it may have more idea

afright

TF
Reaction score
It was a case of he did not want to pay for over boarding so he settled for Ditra,Homebase did state to use their adhesive(which I did not I used mapei) it will be interesting to see what that state,s on their bags about prep.

Last edited:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
homebase can reccomend what they like i suppose albeit the advice is wrong,you know what its like trying to change some peoples minds once they have it in there head they are correct

B

bugs183

It's crazy that customers always want to listen to B&Q, Homebase numpties, but not the tiler they bring in!!!

I

ian thomas

I really don't want to sound as though I am trying to put people down but I am a 49 year old tiler with 31 years experience in the trade, I have never used hardie, always used 12mm ply, never weighed a box of tiles, to my knowledge never had a wall collapse due to the weight and never used ditra. If the correct adhesive is used there will be no problem. I still dont get why people replace plasterboard with aqua panel because its waterproof? The grout and adhesive are waterproof so the substrate should not have to be. As I said I am not here to put people down but adding these costs to a job would result in not getting a lot of work, cheers although I know I am in for a bit of stick

W

White Room

I really don't want to sound as though I am trying to put people down but I am a 49 year old tiler with 31 years experience in the trade, I have never used hardie, always used 12mm ply, never weighed a box of tiles, to my knowledge never had a wall collapse due to the weight and never used ditra. If the correct adhesive is used there will be no problem. I still dont get why people replace plasterboard with aqua panel because its waterproof? The grout and adhesive are waterproof so the substrate should not have to be. As I said I am not here to put people down but adding these costs to a job would result in not getting a lot of work, cheers although I know I am in for a bit of stick

They are water resistant, not waterproof......

B

BARRONBATHROOMS

It's this lack of knowledge on new product that make it difficult for me to win jobs. I tank all wet areas, silicone expansion gaps. Use uncoupling membranes on ufh or with stone. But because I try to do the best possible job I lose out because someone will say it doesn't need doing so can do it cheaper. Shouldn't we all be trying to improve the trade and do the best possible job?

Reply to Homebase plywood recommendation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen