Search the forum,

Discuss Homebase plywood recommendation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

afright

TF
Reaction score
Well I am 59 and have been tiling for 42 years and to be honest I to just kept to my old ways but did have a few problems over the years where tiles had cracked due to movement, so any new methods to better your work is much welcomed .

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
I really don't want to sound as though I am trying to put people down but I am a 49 year old tiler with 31 years experience in the trade, I have never used hardie, always used 12mm ply, never weighed a box of tiles, to my knowledge never had a wall collapse due to the weight and never used ditra. If the correct adhesive is used there will be no problem. I still dont get why people replace plasterboard with aqua panel because its waterproof? The grout and adhesive are waterproof so the substrate should not have to be. As I said I am not here to put people down but adding these costs to a job would result in not getting a lot of work, cheers although I know I am in for a bit of stick

so what products would you use if you were constructing a wet room , surly not plaster board?

B

bugs183

You've been very lucky then Ian.
No one here will tell you what you should be using, but the trade has moved on massively over the years and the old methods simply aren't applicable to many situations that arise.
I've been tiling over 20 years, and you have to keep up with what's being developed.

P

Perry

i dont think we ever get to old to learn things have changed a little since we started doing 6x8 s 30 years ago changing faster day by day

afright

TF
Reaction score
The whole tiling format is changing when I started it was mainly Johnson vein tiles on walls and quarry,s on the floor now tiles getting bigger and heavier and that's why you have to learn new techniques.

B

bugs183

Exactly. really simple then.
Adhesives were Bal Grip and Bal Wall, they stuck! The Grip was full of ammonia, not good with a hangover!
Tiles where 12'x8' max on the walls, and floor tiles were 12'x12', bal Gold Star or wow Rapid Set (it goes off quick!)
But then plumbers fitted everything and you had to cut round it all, i don't miss that one bit!

Reply to Homebase plywood recommendation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen