Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss HomeBase metros. in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Stef

Went to a job today to fit above tiles.
Turned into a right disaster.
The customer, a mate, painted some of the new plaster walls with some paint to help the adhesive, got this stripped & rest of the walls prepped & started to open boxes of tiles.
Out of 3 boxes (75 tiles) I would only have fitted 9 tiles.
They were packaged all face down with no protection between, I never opened any more boxes as I gave up & phoned him & told him to get a refund & pick different tiles.
I've noticed more & more black metros have a lot of scratches on them.
Anyone else had problems?

O

One Day

I get them from CTD or Porcelanosa (guess which is cheapest?!)
Both come with was squiggles to protect from rubbing.
Guess HB are just cheap cack?

O

On one

Nope. But went into the brand new Homebase near me for the first time last week only out of desperation for an unequal sized 9mm pvc tile trim quadrant(had piece in new section and no one within 30 miles had one) Cost £5.99:yikes: for a 6 foot length.....never again

S

Stef

I've had issues with a lot of black metros but none have ever been as bad as these.
You get the odd one or two with marks or scratches on them but these today were truly shocking..
I know what you mean about the words HomeBase, not the greatest place for purchasing tiles..

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The word "Homebase" puts the fear of god in me.....

It also puts the fear of god in my bank manager.... I bought a bag of sand and a piece of guttering from my local one a couple of weeks ago just to finish off a job. It came to nearly thirty quid... Same stuff from my builders merchant would have been less than a tenner.... But it was Saturday pm so hadn't much option....

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
And it is....

A

AKOTiler

I hate homebase tiles. If they do happen to be clean & unmarked tiles they still barely ever seem to be the same batch. Had 2 customers recently that bought £7 tiles and both times had 3 different batches!! Some were a mm out! I now try to push my customers to tileflair as they tend to look after the tiler a bit more!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It also puts the fear of god in my bank manager.... I bought a bag of sand and a piece of guttering from my local one a couple of weeks ago just to finish off a job. It came to nearly thirty quid... Same stuff from my builders merchant would have been less than a tenner.... But it was Saturday pm so hadn't much option....

Like an old friend of mine who owned a fish and chip shop, had a customer come in and the following conversation took place:-

Owner (O) Evening Sir can I help you
Customer (C) Fish and Chips twice please
O Anything else
C Bottle of tomato sauce please
O Sauce is £2 a bottle
C I'm not paying £2 a bottle when Asda sell them at 50p
O Well get one from Asda then
C I can't they're closed
O Well my bottles of sauce are 50p when I'm closed as well!

Supply and demand haha

S

Stef

Haha good tale JB.
These metros weren't cheap, he reckoned that they were £18m2,
I told him to go to TG to start with..

M

Mr Tiler

I think its the homebase ones stef these were mentioned to be very poor quality in a post a few months back

Q

Qwerty

I actually popped into Homebase today and see what you mean about the scratches and no protection :yikes:

S

Stef

I actually popped into Homebase today and see what you mean about the scratches and no protection :yikes:

Geoff they are truly shocking, I kicked up a stink years ago about black bricks through CTD & questioned the packing method of johnsons as the least they could do is pack them back to back etc, would save the bulk of them getting damaged.

Reply to HomeBase metros. in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks