Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Help - Porcelain tile pourous and adhering dirt - tile shop not taking responsibility in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

happytoddy

Hi

I'm praying that someone will be able to offer some advice for us.

We basically had 26 square meters of cream porcelain 60x60 tiles with pitted tiny holes to look like natural travertine, fitted in our kitchen dinner.

We did ask the shop assistant about the after care because of the holes, we were sold Lithofin sealant to act as barrier and no more than that.

Tiles were laid and look beautiful against the limestone grout.

Day 5 the tiles looked dull in appearance and changed from a bright cream to more like a dull honeycomb colour. The holes were black as they had a build up of dirt in them that you couldn't get out.

I therefore rang the manager of the reputable local tile shop and he came to inspect. Straight away he said the tiles should have been overgrouted which would of rectified the black in the holes. I reminded him that the staff that sold us these tiles never mentioned anything about overgrouting, especially as these tiles are being sold as optional with regards to grouting. We then laid a fresh tile down left from the remaining batch and it clearly stood out what a colour difference there was.

He then suggested a rep from the manufacture needed to inspect the floor. His conclusion was that the tile needed a good clean using the provided toxic floor cleaner and that it had been contaminated in some one. I strongly disagreed and said that whats wrong with the tile was purely dirt adhering to it as its so pourous. They obviously denied it and was not admitting liability.

I've had 8 months of battling with both the shop and manufacture who are both adimant the tile is not purous but cannot explained while the tile has gone the way it has.

The only way forward was to have the floor professionally cleaned by a machine operated cleaner. This was done about 5 weeks ago. The manager from the shop contributed £150 towards the £450 costs. I can confirm that every inch of my tiles came up beatifully and all the dirt was removed.

We then overgrouted the whole floor in jasmine grout as recommended by the tile shop. As I have a letter stating that in his opinion once the floor was cleaned and overgrouted, the problem should be rectified.

I'm sorry to say that after the same 5 days dirt has started rebuilding on the tile, so much so that the tile has totally dulled down, exactly what you expect from a tile that has layers of dirt on it. So much so that when you wash the floor, you are left with dirty streak marks.

The jasmin grout lines look awful too, they are extremely grubby. It looks like my floor has been down for many many years.

I've got the same manager and rep coming back to inspect again on Tuesday morning. He has already said on the phone that in his opinion there is clearly nothing wrong with the tile and that they are only come round because I've asked them too. I've asked for an explanation as to why my tile is reacting in such a way and they can't give me a conclusive answer, other than there is nothing wrong with the tile. How can they be so bloddy ignorant especially when I lay a fresh tile on floor and they can clearly see the difference. I have only been cleaning the floor in the products they suggested Lifthofin deep clean. The floor was sealed exactly as was recommended after it was cleaned and grouted.

I did go the legal route with my home insurance legal department but they hit a hurdle as they couldn't prove the tile was faulty as it needed to be taken to a lab which was outside my limit.

Please does anyone have any advice/suggestions or even come across anything similar.

The tile shop have even said they are prepared for me to take legal action. How can they be so confident. Am I fighting a losing battle. Is there no protection for the consumer, what about consumer rights?

I very much look forward to hearing your comments.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Re: Help - Porcelain tile pourous and adhering dirt - tile shop not taking responsibi

hi there,

did the tiler seal these tiles and what with also how many coats?

are they matte porcelain tiles

kitchens are high traffic areas and i try to avoid using light grouts like that on floors as they do get grubby,do you have dogs or do you have heavy foot traffic that brings a lot of dirt into your kicthen?

was a grey adhesive used?

H

happytoddy

Re: Help - Porcelain tile pourous and adhering dirt - tile shop not taking responsibi

I originally used Limestone grout on the floor. The boss man from tile shop said I choose the wrong colour and should of used jasmin to compliment the floor more. At the time I didn't agree because I liked the limestome. However as we had the floor cleaned, I thought lets do everything that they say and if it goes wrong I will remind me of their facts.

The sealer was Lithofin impregnator and it was sealed the once, even though the tiles are pre sealed. Yet again this was requested. The tiles are a matt finish.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score

did it take/absorb the sealer fairly quickly or did you have to remove excess?

did you use grey adhesive

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score

i would clean the tiles back again,also re grout the lines as well with your jasmine or limestone

then seal the grout as well, this may sound daft to you but i would impose a new house rule of no shoes in the house past the front door,this will help dirt build ups on your floor

H

happytoddy

Tiles can't be cleaned back unless I have them professionally cleaned which is a total no go.

Can't regrout and there isn't any room left to take a new grout.

No one wears shoes in the house anyway, all slippers. Do have a dog whos in and out of the garden. Can't do anything about that.

What I want to know is what are my chances of legally winning a battle against the tile shop. They don't seem to be bothered about me seeking legal advice.

Just can't see how they can be so flippant when they can clearly see how crap the floor it.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score

hi,i dont think you have any chance of winning against your shop

what have they done wrong ? they have sold you tiles. if they are floor tiles then they havent actually done anything wrong

why cant you re grout? i suspect if your dog is in and out the garden bringing dirt in as dogs do then your issue may never go away,i know its not an answer to your problems

why cant you strip the tiles clean yourself,e grout then re seal them including the grout?

H

happytoddy

We aren't talking everyday dirt in patches that I can't be removed, the whole tile has darkened. I shouldn't have to scrub a porcelain floor tile with a toxic cleaner every 2 weeks to stop a build up. It basically layers its and it gets deeper and deeper over time. I'm not even using regular floor wash, I'm using Lithofin Deep Clean and it doesn't do anything. 6 months down the line its gonna look totally and utterly crap.

Yes the tile sold me a goods but under the 1976 goods of sales act, they are in breach of contract. A natural stone is easier maintaince than my tile and that says everything.

Will be really hard to now overgrout in a darker colour as I can't allow the grout to go over the tile and get into any of the holes as that will deepend the appearance even more. The grout is to the tile level, no way Id even get a thin layer of fresh grout

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score

when you applied the sealer did it absorb quickly intot he tile or did you have to remove excess

did you use grey or white adhesive

Last edited:
H

happytoddy

No it dryed very quickly, no residue at all. I buffed it in pretty quickly.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score

ok toddy, i have personally never come across this with porcelain however matte porcelins need sealing

this is my veiw on it,if the sealer is absorbed very quickly as you said it has it may well be the case it simply needs more

if you dont give it enough sealer it will absorb the next best thing........wet dirt from your dogs paws

do you have a spare tile? if so seal it...see how long it takes to absorb ..let dry and seal again later and do this till it wont take any more...if you have to seal it twice or god forbid 3 times there is your answer imo you havent given it enough in the 1st place hence its absorbing dirt so you will then re strip the lot and re grout it and seal accoerdingly

D

doug boardley

happytoddy, while we are willing to help with your tile queries, you have to remember that we are tilers and not lawyers. If you wish to see this go through the legal system I suggest you get a solicitor onto it,
Can you show us some pics of the floor with the leftover tile next to it for comparison?

J

jay

think we need pics as its a bit confusing maybe a run down of the laying

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score

Didn't you post pics somewhere already ????

Last edited:

Reply to Help - Porcelain tile pourous and adhering dirt - tile shop not taking responsibility in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks