Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Can a good tiler sort this out? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

I just spoke to the builder again. He is adamant that the tiler can make it look right and that he can pack behind the wall cupboard to the left of this area to get it looking good. I do know that plastering this wall was a nightmare because there were many different levels. The builder accepts the wall is wonky (I held a spirit level against it).

I don't know what to do. I feel like I've put my trust in these guys and this feels like a horrible bodge. But replastering means taking out the whole of one side of a utility room and starting again.

It dos`nt matter how wonky the wall was a good plasterer should get over it and make it acceptable for tiling.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It’s unfortunate that tilers, as a finishing trade, have to make good. The builder builds a wall that bows, and he says the plasterer will sort it, the plasterer follows the plane of the wall by boarding and skimming, and says the tiler will sort it. The other two trades have normally gone and been paid so it’s now up to the tiler to sort it out and it’s not a 2 minute job.

The kitchen fitter must have had issues as well fitting the cabinets and worktop.

If the wall was already there then the plasterer who boarded it is the cause of the problem. If I’m following a plasterer into a room to tile it, I always ask them if they need to borrow my 6ft straight edge.

Ultimately, the plasterer has to sort the problem at his expense.

Reaction score
Who's the tiler working for? as in, is he part of the Builder's crew, or your own man?
Does the tiler know whats needed?

Seems the builder is gambling on the Tiler saving the day

Reply to Help! Can a good tiler sort this out? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I’ve been trying to seek advice on whether the recently finished tiling/grouting in my...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen