Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Help! Can a good tiler sort this out? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

K

Kieraowl

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Having a new utility room fitted, by a builder. The room has just been plastered.

The wall in the room must be wonky, I think. The sink has just been fitted. It's 5cm from the front of the worktop on each side. However, at the back, one end of the sink is 5cm from the wall and the other end is 6cm!!

It looks really wonky!

Can a good tiler sort this out with a line of tiles that IS straight, even though the wall isn't??

OP
Q

Qwerty

Having a new utility room fitted, by a builder. The room has just been plastered.

The wall in the room must be wonky, I think. The sink has just been fitted. It's 5cm from the front of the worktop on each side. However, at the back, one end of the sink is 5cm from the wall and the other end is 6cm!!

It looks really wonky!

Can a good tiler sort this out with a line of tiles that IS straight, even though the wall isn't??

Not really no

Have you put a straight edge on the wall, or measured the depth of the worktop in a few places?

OP
B

Bill

Of course a good tiler can sort it out but can a client pay the good tiler his/her worth?

Chris N

TF
Reaction score

It looks really wonky!

Need a photo really.

Is the worktop away from the wall by 10mm... I.e. a gap of 10mm, or has the worktop been 'scribed' to the wall...no gap?

OP
K

Kieraowl

Here is a picture. It looks even worse in real life. The sink is neat at the front of the worktop but one of the back corners is 1cm further from the back wall than the other. It's not the hugest sink.

I am NOT doing a cheap job with this. I'm paying an enormous sum of money for the changes, but I expect a high end finish for that, and this is emphatically NOT meeting that standard. I will be paying the tiler a good price.

IMG_20180112_074601369.jpg

OP
K

Kieraowl

Sorry, this one is a bit blurry, but it shows the unevenness better. I'm really short so struggling to get high enough to really show the full extent of the problem.

IMG_20180112_074536481 (1).jpg

OP
B

Bill

the wall is not flat, it is the plastering that needs sorting out.....probably dry lined was it?

OP
K

Kieraowl

Yep, that's exactly the issue Tom.

The builder says the tiler should be able to even it out, and then he can pack out a wall cupboard (to the left of the sink) so it all looks square. I hope this works.

OP
B

Bill

Yep, that's exactly the issue Tom.

The builder says the tiler should be able to even it out, and then he can pack out a wall cupboard (to the left of the sink) so it all looks square. I hope this works.
Tell the builder that the wall needs sorting by the plasterer. If you have a straight edge, put it across the wall, under the window, and this will highlight the problem to the builder. Do not take no or can't do it for an answer.

OP
K

Kieraowl

I just spoke to the builder again. He is adamant that the tiler can make it look right and that he can pack behind the wall cupboard to the left of this area to get it looking good. I do know that plastering this wall was a nightmare because there were many different levels. The builder accepts the wall is wonky (I held a spirit level against it).

I don't know what to do. I feel like I've put my trust in these guys and this feels like a horrible bodge. But replastering means taking out the whole of one side of a utility room and starting again.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Good tilers can sort it - not by packing loads of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ behind certain tiles but by straightening the walls prior to tile. This might entail chopping out high points, floating in rapid set with a straight edge, sticking thin backer boards in certain areas and usually a combination of all of the above. We do this without removing fixed worktops/units so why can't they?
If I were you I'd stick to your guns and make them sort it - they've messed up and given you a sub standard job. Failing that find a good tiler who can sort it but expect to pay extra for the prep - maybe the builder will knock the price of the extra prep work your tiler will have to charger off his final bill?
Good luck

OP
K

Kieraowl

Thanks macten! I will go and have another word and maybe show them this thread!! :)

I do expect to pay more for good prep. I am not looking to scrimp and save on elements of these jobs. But if I am paying top dollar I expect a top job, you know? I feel really let down over this.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Totally reasonable of you. This is a recurring theme on this forum and the bane of all the professional tilers on here. We are a finishing trade and get sick of other tradesman who have the mentality 'the tiler will get over that' Yes a good tiler can but why should we? If all builders, joiners, sparkies, plumbers and plasterers did their job properly and took pride in their work then customers wouldn't suffer and professional tilers wouldn't have to become multi tradesmen to turn out great jobs. Lol - rant over

Reply to Help! Can a good tiler sort this out? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock