Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Can a good tiler sort this out? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bill

Yep, that's exactly the issue Tom.

The builder says the tiler should be able to even it out, and then he can pack out a wall cupboard (to the left of the sink) so it all looks square. I hope this works.
Tell the builder that the wall needs sorting by the plasterer. If you have a straight edge, put it across the wall, under the window, and this will highlight the problem to the builder. Do not take no or can't do it for an answer.

K

Kieraowl

I just spoke to the builder again. He is adamant that the tiler can make it look right and that he can pack behind the wall cupboard to the left of this area to get it looking good. I do know that plastering this wall was a nightmare because there were many different levels. The builder accepts the wall is wonky (I held a spirit level against it).

I don't know what to do. I feel like I've put my trust in these guys and this feels like a horrible bodge. But replastering means taking out the whole of one side of a utility room and starting again.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Good tilers can sort it - not by packing loads of adhesive behind certain tiles but by straightening the walls prior to tiling. This might entail chopping out high points, floating in rapid set with a straight edge, sticking thin backer boards in certain areas and usually a combination of all of the above. We do this without removing fixed worktops/units so why can't they?
If I were you I'd stick to your guns and make them sort it - they've messed up and given you a sub standard job. Failing that find a good tiler who can sort it but expect to pay extra for the prep - maybe the builder will knock the price of the extra prep work your tiler will have to charger off his final bill?
Good luck

K

Kieraowl

Thanks macten! I will go and have another word and maybe show them this thread!! :)

I do expect to pay more for good prep. I am not looking to scrimp and save on elements of these jobs. But if I am paying top dollar I expect a top job, you know? I feel really let down over this.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Totally reasonable of you. This is a recurring theme on this forum and the bane of all the professional tilers on here. We are a finishing trade and get sick of other tradesman who have the mentality 'the tiler will get over that' Yes a good tiler can but why should we? If all builders, joiners, sparkies, plumbers and plasterers did their job properly and took pride in their work then customers wouldn't suffer and professional tilers wouldn't have to become multi tradesmen to turn out great jobs. Lol - rant over

K

Kieraowl

No, I completely understand. I'm not skilled in a trade like you are (I have so much admiration for people who are) but I know good work and I appreciate having it in my house. For example, my plumber spent ages getting all the copperwork on my boiler and plumbing dead straight, and that makes a difference to me. I like it, it makes me feel happy every time I see it.

I work in a different area but I take pride in my work and it makes me feel dissatisfied and unhappy when I can't do the best job because someone else has screwed up. So I really understand how you feel about this, and why it annoys you.

It was a mare of a room to plaster, so I can also see why it has gone a bit wrong, though I do think this is the builders' responsibility to sort out.

F

Flintstone

If this is a regular height kitchen splash back, 4 or 4 rows of tiles, then picking them out by whichever means will leave you with a large visible gap on the top of the tiles/trim.

K

Kieraowl

It will be tiled from the worktop surface to the bottom of the wall unit, IYSWIM.

The builder reckons he can pack out behind the wall units so that they appear more in line. I can't quite see how this will work to be honest.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Without physically being there with a straight edge it's hard to say exactly what a tiler can and needs to do. It's usually the blockwork surrounding windows that throws kitchen walls out like that and makes some plasterers struggle for some unknown reason. It looks like from your pic that that might be the case here. Looks like the plasterer has just curved to meet the proud sill. Sometimes after making good you might be left with a bigger gap at the top of the tiling but that isn't a problem if it's all framed at the top by the base of a unit. Otherwise it can sometimes be disguised by feathering the tiles gently back in over all the rows or using deeper trim than normal, or both. Not ideal but what makes this wonky wall stand out is the tapering gap between sink and wall and, if not sorted, will only be exaggerated after tiling as the gap gets smaller. It can be sorted, just turns a simple happy splashy into an annoying, time consuming job. Unfortunately.
Still best to insist they put it right though ;)

Reaction score
Totally reasonable of you. This is a recurring theme on this forum and the bane of all the professional tilers on here. We are a finishing trade and get sick of other tradesman who have the mentality 'the tiler will get over that' Yes a good tiler can but why should we? If all builders, joiners, sparkies, plumbers and plasterers did their job properly and took pride in their work then customers wouldn't suffer and professional tilers wouldn't have to become multi tradesmen to turn out great jobs. Lol - rant over
I'm with you macten, why should we have to rectify others poor work? I wouldn't expect the next tradesman to have to fix my errors before doing his own job, certainly wouldn't do my reputation any good.

Reply to Help! Can a good tiler sort this out? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen