Search the forum,

Discuss Haven't tiled for many years - about to start again today! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

seriph1

Hi folks

Steve here from Kilmore (Australia) - as per subject, I have not tiled for many years but am beginning again today on a kitchen job I am trying to complete for my client.

It is a chilly 8 degrees C here today and hope it wont be too cold for the adhesive. It is a splashback (or backsplash if you're American) job and I am using some stunning white handmade Italian subway (6 in. by 3 in.)tiles.

here is a pic of the area - modest but should come out nicely if I do the right things.

Thanks

SinkCab021.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

Welcome Steve - hope you enjoy your tiling . Most adhesives have a setting temperature of above 5 degrees so you may have to add some heat to your working environment. Here in the Uk it's always in the 90's Fahrenheit so it's never an issue for us!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome Steve - hope you enjoy your tiling . Most adhesives have a setting temperature of above 5 degrees so you may have to add some heat to your working environment. Here in the Uk it's always in the 90's Fahrenheit so it's never an issue for us!

Hello Steve, what has made you come back to tiling?

As Timeless John has mentioned it's generally around the 90s although during the colder winter months I've known it to drop to mid 80s and a fleece is required for working in :thumbsup:

S

seriph1

Thanks for the welcome folks - silly me had no idea it was so balmy in the UK!

:D

Well .... the day has been a great one with some skills revisited and a new couple acquired.

I love it when a plan comes together ... the reason I haven't done much tiling is because I mainly make and supply/install period architectural interiors. Life is changing for me and as this is the last kitchen installation I plan to do, I felt it appropriate to 'touch' every aspect of the job so I can truly say the work was mine in total .... immature I guess, but there it is ...

:)

Also, as the job is only a couple of square metres and the tiles are handmade Italian, local tilers didn't seem much interested in doing the work.

It has turned out OK

cheers

SinkCab-tiles.jpg

D

DHTiling

Helloooo . welcome.. could you not cut the thin slice under the window , instead of soldier coursing them.?

S

seriph1

I could cut them any way they needed but everything is so terribly out of square in the space that vertical was the only way to disguise it. Once the grout is on it should be fine.

S

seriph1

Ceramico - thanks mate. Got into the rhythm eventually and enjoyed it a lot.

My bosch multitool with the appropriate fitting proved a godsend. Didn't lose a tile which is just as well at $200 psm!

T

Time's Ran Out

$200 in Australian money is worth what in Italian Euros?
They must be antiques!
There is certainly a lot of sentiment gone into this job.
Careful not to get any silicone on the wood units as it may not show the 'hotspots'.

Reply to Haven't tiled for many years - about to start again today! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen