Search the forum,

Discuss Haven't tiled for many years - about to start again today! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

seriph1

I could cut them any way they needed but everything is so terribly out of square in the space that vertical was the only way to disguise it. Once the grout is on it should be fine.

S

seriph1

Ceramico - thanks mate. Got into the rhythm eventually and enjoyed it a lot.

My bosch multitool with the appropriate fitting proved a godsend. Didn't lose a tile which is just as well at $200 psm!

T

Time's Ran Out

$200 in Australian money is worth what in Italian Euros?
They must be antiques!
There is certainly a lot of sentiment gone into this job.
Careful not to get any silicone on the wood units as it may not show the 'hotspots'.

S

seriph1

Thanks for the advice re silicon. Going to really take my time with that aspect.

$200 AUD is about $140 euro. These are expensive tiles but true handmade from Italy. I sourced them on the clients request but usually research everything I do. Just didn't have time for these. My contacts got back to me after the tiles were bought. I can get a very similar item for $57 psm. Client would've been perfectly happy but too late. Only represented a saving of a couple of hundred dollars overall.

I usually source everything from floor to ceiling. I don't add a whack to purchases as a rule though. The wife thinks I'm mad but that's another story

:)

Going to do a funky ogee thing for behind the stove. Will come up nicely I think/hope. She bought a tiny baumatic stove in red and black - I made the rangehood. Can't post links to pictures yet otherwise I'd show you all.

Ok plane is boarding.

Thanks again!

Steve

S

seriph1

Ok so I have completed this job - almost!

Tiles went on beautifully and as hoped. The time invested in carefully grinding curved tiles (bosch multi tool) really paid off.

Errors: too much water in the grout ruined it. Redid that using a correct measuring device in the form of a 60ml bottle.

:D

Victories:

overall look of the handmade tiles, is stunning.

Grout turned out beautifully and added to my upper arm stamina - all that vigorous polishing the grout off/out.

Variations in gaps (minor) added to the overall effect.

Masking the bench AND close to the bottom of the tiles produced and excellent junction between the surfaces. And fingers (rubber gloves actually) with detergent really does work when removing excess silicon.

Remaining challenge: tried to silicon the exposed vertical edges. Then tried no more gaps ... I was not happy with either outcome.

Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Pics will follow when taken/adjusted.

Reply to Haven't tiled for many years - about to start again today! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen