Currently reading:
have you ever been asked to tile a steam room

Discuss have you ever been asked to tile a steam room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Scott

I have one to price for a friends mum but as yet have never fitted one. THe husband is also the local building inspector :yikes: Im thinking that she is going for one of these chinese plastic bases with the tray and doors as one unit so it would be just the rear corner to build and tile.

I have to contruct one wall anyway as far as i know so i would go with the following

CLS for the stud work with a plastic membrane over the insulation at 400 centres with plenty of noggins covered with either hardi backer, or aqua panel. Probably Hardi backer as this job is on the top floor of a town house and Aqua panel is too damn heavy to carry up 2 flights! Tape the joins and adhesive will depend on tiles but definately a cement based adhesive due to the steam.

Im sure others will differ but thats how I would do it and i offer 2 years guarantee on all my bathroom installations.

However if there is a better alternative I would consider it

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The D

deanotile-albums-stone-mosaic-tiling-picture6087-image272.jpg
deanotile-albums-stone-mosaic-tiling-picture6086-image271.jpg
deanotile-albums-stone-mosaic-tiling-picture6085-image269.jpg
deanotile-albums-stone-mosaic-tiling-picture5480-image191.jpg
deanotile-albums-stone-mosaic-tiling-picture4213-image255.jpg
deanotile-albums-stone-mosaic-tiling-picture4215-image256.jpg
deanotile-albums-stone-mosaic-tiling-picture4211-image261.jpg

butech one flex adhesive butech anthracite epoxy grout walls constructed from wadi board taped and skimmed with the one flex

Last edited by a moderator:
I have built a number of steam rooms over the years and always tile the floor first then build the room on top of the floor, aluminium framing with aqua panels screwed on using s/steel washers and screws all joints are then taped and filled, ceilings are built the same way and are better pitched than vertical . Tile using flexi adhesive and grout using epoxy [ have seen them grouted with flexi floor grout with no problems ]. Finaly silicone all the corners / angles and edges along the walls, floors and ceiling. We have used this method with out any problems for a number of years for major national clients . hope this helps

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

R

Rob Z

Dave, we use NobleSeal TS or CIS for steam rooms. These sheet membranes have a perm rating way, way below 1.0 ...I think it is on the order of ~0.05. For walls I think we have always gone over mud and used CBU's for the ceilings.

Epoxy grout on the walls and silicone in the corners.

The specs for Wedi here in the US say that for Wedi to work in a steam shower epoxy must be used to set the tile. Before I knew about this requirement I built several steamers Wedi so I have always wondered when this might be a problem.

D

diamondtiling

I use Marmox from dale sauna in Harrogate, I can send them the spec and they deliver it to site flat packed. We bolt it together and use Knauf adhesive to seal the walls, the lighting in the ceiling is a kaleidoscope fibre optic type, we fit the motor onto the ceiling and drill 200 plus 10mm holes to fit the lights. I get the pre formed seating the same as Deano and then mosaic these. The walls have heating cables fitted behind the tiles.
The ceilings are usually mosaics if they are arched. These rooms are built over an existing 100x100 stainless steel grid in the floor which we would have fitted prior to the aromatheraphy room itself being built.
Monsoon showers are similar in construction, we make them up from pre formed curved marmox boards.
I will have to try and find some pictures and scan them.

:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

DOM i would love to see some pic's of these mate, i have never seen heating cables in the walls?? :thumbsup:

It works exactly the same as UFH Dave but you will know that already. We tried mats at first but they are fiddly and time consuming so it was cable from then on. The probe and cable enter from the back of the room and then through conduit to a cupboard, alternatively the control goes on the roof where it is set up as a timer to go off and come on during the clubs opening hours. Really easy to fit, just like doing a floor.

:thumbsup:

M

mullerit

Hi All, this thread seems to be closest to what I want to achieve. I am building a steam/shower room as part of my en suite refurb and have been looking at vapour barrier solutions. The most comprehensive seems to be Kerdi-DS from Schluter and it looks like Wedi are players also, although I canot seem to find the equiveleant of kerdi DS from Wedi. Do you just use Wedi boards (sealed at joints) and no vapour barrier as such. Any advice would be useful. Deanotile's work looks amazing although I would rather not have full mosaic

Steers in the right direction would be greatly apprciated!

Reply to have you ever been asked to tile a steam room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber floor in our barn conversion. The area is large, 21m x 8m. Having spoken to various UFH suppliers I...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.