Discuss Hardie Backerboard Installation in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

SJPurdy

As a tile fitter only - as I don't get involved in room prep prior to tiling, would it be down to me to tape and fill joints between backerboards before tiling or would you expect the installer of the boards to complete this proces or inform me that this proces is required?

Are the boards on the floor or the walls?
What type of boards are they?
Are the boards in a wet area and forming part of a tanking system?

The answers to these questions will determine what type of taping is required if any.

I think that if you tile over boards that you know (or should have known) must be taped, but haven't been, then this will be your responsibility.
If you are asking on a division of work (and payment) basis then I would think that taping of the board joints should be part of the boarding process (costing). If I quote for tiling only then I am not expecting to be building/finishing/rectifying the walls/floor as well in that price.

simon71

TF
Reaction score
Are the boards on the floor or the walls?
What type of boards are they?
Are the boards in a wet area and forming part of a tanking system?

The answers to these questions will determine what type of taping is required if any.

I think that if you tile over boards that you know (or should have known) must be taped, but haven't been, then this will be your responsibility.
If you are asking on a division of work (and payment) basis then I would think that taping of the board joints should be part of the boarding process (costing). If I quote for tiling only then I am not expecting to be building/finishing/rectifying the walls/floor as well in that price.

The boards are on the wall in a small Ensuite approx 1.2mtx2.5mtr, shower area/tray 1.2x.800. The boards hadn't been staggered.
I have never taped joints to date, only filled with silicone if the joints were bigger than 2mm, or I had quoted for tanking. When I gave the estimate the room hadn't been built as this was part of the job spec for the builders who were doing the loft conversion.

Reply to Hardie Backerboard Installation in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley