Discuss Hardie Backerboard Installation in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

simon71

TF
Reaction score
As a tile fitter only - as I don't get involved in room prep prior to tiling, would it be down to me to tape and fill joints between backerboards before tiling or would you expect the installer of the boards to complete this proces or inform me that this proces is required?

S

Stef

As a tile fitter only - as I don't get involved in room prep prior to tiling, would it be down to me to tape and fill joints between backerboards before tiling or would you expect the installer of the boards to complete this proces or inform me that this proces is required?
Who is fitting the Hardie? A joiner?
Is it glued & screwed to the deck?

E

ExplodingPudding

Well if the tiles fail because of incorrect prep I would say the tiler. It's a bit of a grey area but the HBB need to be brick bonded with a special tape on the joints (Fibatape) as normal scrim tape dissolves in tile adhesive.

Long and short, if it isn't taped now then you should tape it in my own personal opinion.

S

Stef

I very rarely tape the joins of Hardie, depends on what tile is being fitted.
I always fit my own Hardie so I know it's glued & screwed to the deck.

S

Stef

Truth is neither do I:)
I leave a 1-2mm gap between boards & that gets filled with addy when tiling, this will help with expansion/contraction within the sub floor.
Not the way Hardie state but that's the way I do it & ive fitted tons of Hardie without issue.

W

White Room

I leave a 1-2mm gap between boards & that gets filled with addy when tiling, this will help with expansion/contraction within the sub floor.
Not the way Hardie state but that's the way I do it & ive fitted tons of Hardie without issue.
I leave a 3mm joint but the same had no problems

T

Time's Ran Out

Surely it's the same as plasterboard.
If it's been boarded by the builder a plasterer would tape and prepare the boards prior to applying plaster coat.
So it follows that if the builder uses hardiboards the face has to be prepared to receive tiles. However who prepares it needs to be discussed at estimate stage.

O

One Day

I have to ask, how do you not take any responsibility for the prep?
I do all my own prep or i don't fix tiles. On the odd occassion it's being done for me i stipulate in writing how it needs to be. It's never done right so i end up charging for it anyway...

E

ExplodingPudding

Surely it's the same as plasterboard.
If it's been boarded by the builder a plasterer would tape and prepare the boards prior to applying plaster coat.
So it follows that if the builder uses hardiboards the face has to be prepared to receive tiles. However who prepares it needs to be discussed at estimate stage.

I think you'll find that hardiebacker is a lot better than plasterboard.

There are plenty of builders out there who use the phrase,
"Don't care, just tile it!"

And that my good sir, is why I don't trust builders to do my tiling!

Reply to Hardie Backerboard Installation in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks