Currently reading:
Hardibacker Tile Backer Board.....any Questions??

Discuss Hardibacker Tile Backer Board.....any Questions?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

NW tiler

Here's a couple of question for you, Hardibacker rep....

1.What screws do you recommend for floors? THe ones I've used so far stick up and have to banged in with a hammer to get them level with the backer board!!!

2. On tuesday Im installing backerboard onto the walls around a bath/shower area. How do I fix it to the wall, on my own! Again, what sort of fixings do I use. Your website states "dowls", what are they? The wall is both plasterboard and brick.

For materials I'm in the North West, CTD is the tile shop I use. Have the usual DIY shops and Topps tiles nearby.

Thanks in advance.

R

Raja

Hey all!!

Im Ash the Hardibacker Rep for the North of England and Scotland.....if anyone has any questions about installation, technical details or would just like to know more about our range of products please dont hesitate to get in contact.....

Ash

hi ash and welcome

good product u got there mate shame about the people who retail it for u topp's

H

Hardibacker Rep

Here's a couple of question for you, Hardibacker rep....

1.What screws do you recommend for floors? THe ones I've used so far stick up and have to banged in with a hammer to get them level with the backer board!!!

2. On tuesday Im installing backerboard onto the walls around a bath/shower area. How do I fix it to the wall, on my own! Again, what sort of fixings do I use. Your website states "dowls", what are they? The wall is both plasterboard and brick.

For materials I'm in the North West, CTD is the tile shop I use. Have the usual DIY shops and Topps tiles nearby.

Thanks in advance.

We do our own range of screws...there availble through Topps, CTD etc

If you dont have access to those screws...we recommend galvanized stainless steel or brass screws or nails (nailing the board down may solve your screw problem???) which you can get through most builders or plumbers merchants....

In regard to your wall installation....we recommend installing the board onto timber batterns every 400 centres then a fixing every 200 centres down the battern...again with the same type of fixing.....our board is a complete replacement for plasterboard so if any is on the wall rip it off and replace it with Hardibacker to give yourself that back up against failures...

If you have any more questions please dont hesitate to send me another message!

H

Holohana

With the 6mm board on a bathroom floor would you reccomend a spf or 2 part for putting the tiles down

Bearing in mind that Hardibacker doesnt "strengthen" the floor and you should have already made sure that there is no deflection in line with BS (No more than 3mm over 4 metres) then you can use single part flexible.

Hope that helps Whitebeam.

Andy

G

grumpygrouter

Hello Ash, I tiled a shower last week. The builder put the backerboard on the wrong way round......i.e. I had to tile over the yellow sticker that read 'This side down'!!! Should this make any difference? Thanks in advance. Sean
I don't think this is significant. I believe that one side is smooth just to give a "nicer" surface to tile on to.

M

Matthew77

:welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2:

Hi Ash

I'm wondering what the spec of these boards are compared to ply regarding rigedness & thickness?

I have a floor that is chipboard ontop of existing floorboards,the chipboard is rotted out so i'm going to take that up, screw all the existing floor boards down & was hoping to replace it with 6mm hardibacker & tile straight ontop of that, would that be rigid enough?

Thanks

H

Hardibacker Rep

:welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2:

Hi Ash

I'm wondering what the spec of these boards are compared to ply regarding rigedness & thickness?

I have a floor that is chipboard ontop of existing floorboards,the chipboard is rotted out so i'm going to take that up, screw all the existing floor boards down & was hoping to replace it with 6mm hardibacker & tile straight ontop of that, would that be rigid enough?

Thanks

As long as the floor is stable and there will be little movement as in line with the building regs (3mm over 4qm) then it will be fine....you also have to put a layer of adhesive on top of the floor boards (under the hardibacker) as a void filler....

The nature of our product, being cement based, makes it a much more stable product to tile onto...however it isnt there to strengthen the floor...the floor must be suitable before hand....

H

Hardibacker Rep

How about that old chestnut - Tanking?
Does Hardibacker require sealing, or like Aquapanel, is this not recommended and does it affect the 'warranty'?

I'm in the process of installing a new bathroom and have decided to tank the panels, so would be interested to get your view on this.

We dont recommend tanking our board....it will affect the bond between the board and the adhesive....theres not much point anyway as our board will "soak" up any water and will not be affected by it...

:yes:

M

Mark B

We dont recommend tanking our board....it will affect the bond between the board and the adhesive....theres not much point anyway as our board will "soak" up any water and will not be affected by it...

:yes:

Hello,

I'm in the same position. I have just boarded out a shower area with backer board and was intending to apply a BAL WP1 kit. Why doesn't it need tanking?

Whilst the board is not affected by moisture I didn't think that it provided a waterproof barrier.

Mark

G

grumpygrouter

Hello,

I'm in the same position. I have just boarded out a shower area with backer board and was intending to apply a BAL WP1 kit. Why doesn't it need tanking?

Whilst the board is not affected by moisture I didn't think that it provided a waterproof barrier.

Mark
This is one of those funny situations in my opinion. A waterproof coating is there to stop water penetrating to a substrate that will be damaged by water i.e. plasterboard, plywood or mdf for instance. If the substrate will not be affected by contact with water and as a consequence the tiles stay put what is the actual pount of tanking. OK seal the joints but why seal the rest? If a potential leak through the tiles is so serious that it will start to "flood" through the substrate the volume of water would probably stay in the tanked area anyway overflow and run out of the door.....maybe?

Just a thought, what do others think?

M

Mark B

This is one of those funny situations in my opinion. A waterproof coating is there to stop water penetrating to a substrate that will be damaged by water i.e. plasterboard, plywood or mdf for instance. If the substrate will not be affected by contact with water and as a consequence the tiles stay put what is the actual pount of tanking. OK seal the joints but why seal the rest? If a potential leak through the tiles is so serious that it will start to "flood" through the substrate the volume of water would probably stay in the tanked area anyway overflow and run out of the door.....maybe?

Just a thought, what do others think?

Grumpy - Thanks for the explanation.

I've got to fill and tape the joints anyway and the shower tray has already had one seal of silicone applied (between the tray and the backer board).

I think I'll give the WP1 a miss on this one and keep it for another job :thumbsup:

Mark.

Reply to Hardibacker Tile Backer Board.....any Questions?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.