Search the forum,

Discuss Half square tiles? How to fix in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davy_G

Hi all,
I turned up at a clients for some repeat work. They wanted a downstairs toilet tiling, walls and floors. Anyway the floor tiles are the same as the upstairs bathroom I did a month back, 30 x 30 with irregular sides and rounded corners. After discussion, I did them with 5mm gaps which left big corner grout gaps because of the rounded corners.
However, the client liked them that much she chose smaller wall tiles, 15 x 15 she thought in the same version. I opened a box and found 2 sides are perfectly straight and 2 are irregular. The other boxes are the same.
After speaking to the tile suppliers they recommend 2 mm grout gaps for walls (they are porcelain as well!!:furious3: ) and a good adhesive to make sure they dont slip. Also tile in a random fashion with regard to tile orientation.

Im a bit worried about the grout lines not being totally straight and how the effect will look with the 2 straight sides and 2 irregular.

Have any of you folk used such tiles and any tips, how did the job look??

Cheers
Dave

G

GazTech

Dave that's a new one on me mate. .never heard of a tile of which you speak.Has the customer really bought these after previewing a sample,not sure if they have seconds....possibly 4 tiles make up a whole one,and the wavy edge goes to the outside...can't see it looking right any other way.. ...Gaz

D

davy_G

They are firsts alright, very sought after look (the suppliers words-not mine!)
I set the tiles out with the straight edges together as you suggest but they are manufactured with the straight edges a good few mm 'lower' than the tile face and the rounded edge. Its hard to explain but I will take a photo and post it on monday.
The client bought them only from seeing them in a photo.....I have tried to persuade her if we (she ) doesnt match the grout exactly with the lower tile edge its going to be an eyesore..

F

Fekin

I did a splashback with tiles like these, 2 straight edges and 2 wavey edges, called porcelanico negro, bought from Topps, and I just did them in a random pattern and they looked good.

D

DHTiling

I have used a tile like them as well Domino monsratz....just put them on random and then when grouted it hardly shows as the tiles i used had a slight chamfer to them so when grouted they blended back.....good luck....

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CLAYS TILES

never came across these myself but if you can put a pic up on here i'd be interested to see the finished job! good luck pal

T

tilinga2z

Also would be interested in seeing the finished look, can't quite visualise what it would look like....might save me looking daft if this comes all the rage. Good look with the job.

T

tiler tom

Having laid a 100 x 100 floor tile on a kitchen wall today I understand your concern about the finished look as you feel it is a reflection on your work and reputation. This tile in question was wavy on all four sides to such a degree that some tiles were 3mm smaller across one edge than the opposite one. The only option I had was to point it out to the customer and tell them it was impossible to get a straight grout line because of this prior to tiling. That way after they had given me the go ahead they would not question the end result as I had pointed it out.

G

GazTech

I did a splashback with tiles like these, 2 straight edges and 2 wavey edges, called porcelanico negro, bought from Topps, and I just did them in a random pattern and they looked good.
Give over cha !! porce negro are waney edge all round!!...looks like you made a second look good 10/10....gaz

F

Fekin

Im sure they had 2 straight edges too them... got a couple in the shed, I'll have to have a look at them again.

Reply to Half square tiles? How to fix in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen