Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Gypsum based adhesives in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dumbo

I as yet have not been brave enough to use a gypsum based adhesive on an anhydrate screed just wondering has anybody on here used them and if so how they have found them and most importantly any failures.

H

hmtiling

I as yet have not been brave enough to use a gypsum based adhesive on an anhydrate screed just wondering has anybody on here used them and if so how they have found them and most importantly any failures.
I've used Norcross tile to gypsum, Nicobond gypfix, Granfix csa and Tilemaster anhyfix. No failures and there shouldn't be if used correctly and not in wet areas. Also used Kerakoll h40 ideal which isn't a gypsum adhesive as such but is suitable for anhydrite screeds.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
not used directly but have recommended for at least 8 years now. seen dozens of failures with cement adhesives in that time. on the other hand have only seen 2 failures with gypsum adhesive over the same period. both of those were easily explained. I don't know why you think using gypsum adhesive is a brave thing to do. It seems just common sense to me. cement on cement and gypsum on gypsum...

D

Dumbo

not used directly but have recommended for at least 8 years now. seen dozens of failures with cement adhesives in that time. on the other hand have only seen 2 failures with gypsum adhesive over the same period. both of those were easily explained. I don't know why you think using gypsum adhesive is a brave thing to do. It seems just common sense to me. cement on cement and gypsum on gypsum...
I never trust adhesive manufacturers fully as I have seen lots of failures on some of their products like 2 part flexible rubber crumb adhesive. And having been dumped on by bal over grout which dried out grey instead of limestone but they still claimed it was in the expected colour spectrum . So I would prefer to others who have used the product and as you know you learn more when you have problems than when everything goes perfectly

Reaction score
A gypsum based adhesive is fine if it is mixed correctly and the screed has been properly prepared and is dry. However if the gypsum screed has UFH in it as many of them have, then I would recommend decoupling it, so you would have to go down the cement based route.

H

hmtiling

A gypsum based adhesive is fine if it is mixed correctly and the screed has been properly prepared and is dry. However if the gypsum screed has UFH in it as many of them have, then I would recommend decoupling it, so you would have to go down the cement based route.
Why would you have to go the cement based route with a decoupler Jon?
If stone, i would decouple and use gypsum adhesive under and cement based on top but only switching to cement based for cost reasons

Reaction score
With some of the decoupling membranes they don't recommend using a gypsum based adhesive. If you are using Ditra then I believe you can use them but I would still use a cement based adhesive on top, I think the bond strength is better than a gypsum based adhesive.

H

hmtiling

I can't see why gypsum addy wouldn't work with any fleece backed decoupler. It's only that they haven't tested and think it's way overdue that they do.

Reply to Gypsum based adhesives in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks