Search the forum,

Discuss Grout or silicon first in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

moonbug

I've just finished tiling my shower and was wondering should I silicon first before grouting?

In the past I've always grouted first (leaving the corners un grouted ) then siliconed.

This was my first attempt at brick bond so please be gentle.

Attachments

• IMAG0015.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMAG0066.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 217
  • IMAG0065.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 209
C

CJ CERAMICS

I grout first leaving time for the grout to cure over night then silicone the next day so as not to impregnate the silicone with grout residue.

Remember to remove grout from all areas to be silconed ie shower tray where the grout sometimes lays between that and the tile and in the corners so that there are no weak spots should vibration/movement occur. if you are using a coloured grout buy a matching colour for the sealant. Mapei do specific silicones for this.
chris

Last edited by a moderator:
M

moonbug

3mm grout joints,corners between 2 and 4mm . I have around 3mm between the ceiling and the top tile would I be better grouting this or silicon?

The grout colour is limestone, do mapei do a silicon to match this?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

I think one of the 1st discussions I entered on the forum all those year back was about silicone 1st or after. My thoughts then were silicone last but the general opinion at that time was silicone 1st as the silicone wont stick to grout. I then changed my ways and like to silicone 1st and then grout when silicone is dry.

D

doug boardley

I grout first and leave corners and places that need siliconing free from grout, then silicone once everything is dry.

M

Mike

as above , grout first. tiling looks good, and i see you've gone round the corners in 'full' tiles. :thumbsup:

Reply to Grout or silicon first in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen