Search the forum,

Discuss Grout or silicon first in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

moonbug

I've just finished tiling my shower and was wondering should I silicon first before grouting?

In the past I've always grouted first (leaving the corners un grouted ) then siliconed.

This was my first attempt at brick bond so please be gentle.

Attachments

• IMAG0015.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMAG0066.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 216
  • IMAG0065.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 208
C

CJ CERAMICS

I grout first leaving time for the grout to cure over night then silicone the next day so as not to impregnate the silicone with grout residue.

Remember to remove grout from all areas to be silconed ie shower tray where the grout sometimes lays between that and the tile and in the corners so that there are no weak spots should vibration/movement occur. if you are using a coloured grout buy a matching colour for the sealant. Mapei do specific silicones for this.
chris

Last edited by a moderator:
M

moonbug

3mm grout joints,corners between 2 and 4mm . I have around 3mm between the ceiling and the top tile would I be better grouting this or silicon?

The grout colour is limestone, do mapei do a silicon to match this?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

I think one of the 1st discussions I entered on the forum all those year back was about silicone 1st or after. My thoughts then were silicone last but the general opinion at that time was silicone 1st as the silicone wont stick to grout. I then changed my ways and like to silicone 1st and then grout when silicone is dry.

D

doug boardley

I grout first and leave corners and places that need siliconing free from grout, then silicone once everything is dry.

M

Mike

as above , grout first. tiling looks good, and i see you've gone round the corners in 'full' tiles. :thumbsup:

L

Lincoln-tiler

As above, grout first and silicon after. Make sure tiles a polished off and very dry. If siliconing a bath, fill the bath to the botham of the overflow and silicon with this full. leave for 24 hours then empty the bath. The reason for this is the bath is at its maxium capacity and the silicon sets stretched. Once the bath empty's it closes together, this prevents the silicon splitting over time, all the best Vinney

Reply to Grout or silicon first in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen