Search the forum,

Discuss Grout line thickness!?! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Can Porcelain floor tiles be laid with a 1mm grout line? And if not what's the reason?

I have a customer that i've told he needs at least 3mm, but he has a builder friend that says he can lay them at 1mm. I thought only rectified stone could be laid at 1mm, but i can't for the life of me think of the reason!?!?!?!
The builder friend has laid Porcelain, in his own house, at 1mm, and didn't seal them, but is having trouble with grout staying in.... Do you get the impression he hasn't removed the coating?

Cheers
Scott

F

Fekin

I would always go for 3mm minimum to 5mm grout lines for floors, and Porcelain only needs sealing if the tiles are polished porcelain :thumbsup:

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I would always go for 3mm minimum to 5mm grout lines for floors, and Porcelain only needs sealing if the tiles are polished porcelain :thumbsup:

Yeah cheers Fekin, they are Polished (missed that out of the initial post). I've walked away from this one, even though he's a mate. He's insisted on uni-bonding the screed floor, and gone for a 2mm grout line, so i've left him to it... He's doing the cuts as we speak. :surrender:

What are the potential problems with grout lines below 3mm?

beanz

TF
Reaction score
What are the potential problems with grout lines below 3mm?

Anyone!?! It would be handy to be able to explain the why's and wherefor's to customers, or they're going to think i don't know what i'm talking about. Which, as you all know, is true enough; but i don't want them to know that! :lol:

G

grumpygrouter

The main problem beanz is that tiles are rarely the same size unless you buy very expensive ones. It also depends on the substrate you are tiling on to. Anything with the potential for movement needs to have room for the movement, hence a bigger joint.

To have a 1 mm grout line, you will need to have very high quality tiles, a very stable and flat substrate and very good eyes!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

even rectified tiles can vary in size (courtesy of gg in an earlier post) so a wider joint can disguise this. I tend to use 4mm for floors, min 3mm, as floors are prone to movement they need to flex somewhere, if you use flexi grout it can act as a buffer if you're joints aren't to tight:thumbsup:

S

sWe

even rectified tiles can vary in size (courtesy of gg in an earlier post) so a wider joint can disguise this. I tend to use 4mm for floors, min 3mm, as floors are prone to movement they need to flex somewhere, if you use flexi grout it can act as a buffer if you're joints aren't to tight:thumbsup:

Yupp, very true, especially for low to mid end rectified tiles. Did a bathroom with rectified polished porcelain bout 6 months ago, and they cost 50gbp/m2, and they differed up to about 2mm from each other, in the same box. I remember it quite clearly because the customer requested thin joints.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Yupp, very true, especially for low to mid end rectified tiles. Did a bathroom with rectified polished porcelain bout 6 months ago, and they cost 50gbp/m2, and they differed up to about 2mm from each other, in the same box. I remember it quite clearly because the customer requested thin joints.

You won't believe this, but my mate has just layed the dreaded B&Q 600mm black/brown Porcs, and he reckons they're spot on! All the same size... I'm going round on Thursday for a nose, as i can't believe it. He's only used 2mm joints, so it could be interesting.

G

grumpygrouter

Just to give you an idea beanz mate, I have a brochure here from a company called Atlas Concorde. The produce very high quality rectified porcelain tiles with a tolerance of +/- 0.1%. A very fine tolerance indeed but if you equate that to a 600x600 tile, this gives acceptable deviation of +/- 0.6mm. Doesn't take much to lose you 1mm grout line does it!

D

doug boardley

very similar story but with Villeroy Boch tiles (about £80m2) variance of about 2 mm, very annoying as they were on walls also!:mad2:

W

White Room

The main problem beanz is that tiles are rarely the same size unless you buy very expensive ones. It also depends on the substrate you are tiling on to. Anything with the potential for movement needs to have room for the movement, hence a bigger joint.

To have a 1 mm grout line, you will need to have very high quality tiles, a very stable and flat substrate and very good eyes!

mister%20frog_490b8a1c813bc.jpg

Something like this grumpy

Reply to Grout line thickness!?! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen