Search the forum,

Discuss Grout cracking at tile edge in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pierluc

Hey there, i just finished the tiles in my house and i am having this problem in a couple places. this is the section that my grout was a little too wet but i used it anyway could it be the problem ?

i used Chembond adhesive and mapei ultracolor plus grout, sub floor is 3/4 inch OSB 3/8 ply, screw at 3 inches square, 3/8 thick tiles, 3/16 spacing

there is no movement on the floor, im really wondering if too wet grout and not pushing it in enough is the problem. this is the only section where i failed the mix the other parts are fine

thx for the help

P

Pierluc

between tiles laid on the floor, it seems like the grout did not stick to the side of the tiles at some place, as if it would have shrink

D

doug boardley

with mapei ultracolour, you have to follow the instructions to the letter, it's a formidable grout when mixed properly. I think it probably is the reason, although your ply should also have been at least 1/2 inch.

P

Pierluc

3/8 ply is all we use in Quebec and i never had problem this way, but yes maybe i could have taken thicker one :smilewinkgrin: theres another 1/8 sheet between my 3/4 and the 3/8, the stuff they use to put linoleum on, should i have remove this piece ?

D

DHTiling

Have you done a deflecto test on the joists....

Your sub-base should be fine.... what Standard is the thinset..? is is modified in anyway.

Reply to Grout cracking at tile edge in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen