Search the forum,

Discuss green plasterboard dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

frogeye

Hi

The shower tray simple installation I went to 3 days ago has turned into a major refit.
The tiling is poor to say the least, but well fixed - so can I dot and dab the green plasterboard onto the existing tiles and if so with what do you recommend? I assume there will be no need to roughen up the tiles?

Floor is coming up to be replaced - going for a bamboo floor.

Will cut access hatch into ceiling below (its out of the way) to enable easy fitting and access to shower tray and in case of problems - also allows the service valve for the shower to be relocated as it looks crap where it is on the surface

Will have to relocate a cold supply as it's in the way of the shower tray.

Half tiles to dado and plastered or papered above. Is there a company that does the plasterboard with a tapered edge so that skimming isn't required?

Would you use the green stuff for the bathroom or normal?

Will tank the shower area to be on the safe side

Any thoughts?

Cheers

F

Frankie

Hi Frogeye,
Whatever you do do not dot n dab over glazed tiles it will NOT key. the boards will simply just fall off

F

frogeye

Cheers Frankie

what a bummer - so I'll have to batten it then cos there is no way I'm taking the tiles off.

frogeye

F

Frankie

Or you could just knock off the tiles where you are going to put your dry wall adhesive

F

frogeye

What about roughening then up with a belt sander?
If not then I like the tile removal idea - but from someone who has never fitted plasterboard in this way ( always battened) how many dots to an 8 x 4 board?

F

Fekin

You have to think about weights too, as to what the old tiles are actually stuck too, like is it plaster under that too, as you'll have the weight of the old tiles, plus the new plasterboard, then the new tiles, going to be heavy by then, thats even if you could dot and dab plasterboard onto tiles, which I have no idea wether it would work, as I'd never ever contemplate doing it in the first place.
----
Whenever I have put new plasterboard up, I probably go over board with the bonding as I do a good blob every 30cm maximum left to right, up and down, so when the boards pressed to the wall it makes roughly 100% coverage, so it's never coming off :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frankie

I would forget about the sanding idea it will just skid over the surface doing very little, as Fekin says you do need to take into account the weight, so if your not going large format, and when you knock a couple of tiles off, if you can see its a sound surface underneath I would apply my adhesive in a four rows of three giving you twelve dabs about the size of both your hands put together

M

murf

what about those plastic mushroom fixings. all you need do is drill a series of holes in the existing tiles and away you go, no need for adhesive.

F

frogeye

Many thanks pals

I will check out the walls - I'm sure one is plasterboard - so taking that off with tiles and re boarding is probably necessary - the others I think are solid.
Great help answered all my problems - thanks

frogeye

Reply to green plasterboard dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen