Search the forum,

Discuss good diamond blades in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

I hope this is not too much of an advert for the supplier but I must say I am very impressed with the quailty and longevity of my diamond blades , they are really decent and cut well with no chipping and I think Alan and his guys at ATS deserve a pat on the back for it , I run these porcelain blades on all my grinders and so do the guys that work for me and to date we havent had a single problem with them

Attachments

• IMG_20141114_133156 (1024x768).jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 226
C

Concrete guy

Can't fault them, have just ordered a new 300mm blade from them.
Allan is sending me a couple to test in my track saw for cutting mistral board ( like corian)
going to try them on tiles too

We developed a couple of blades in conjunction with Bushboard for their M Stone Quartz and Max-Top and both companies customers.

These are modified stone and porcelain blades to fit plunge saws with a 20mm centre bore.

We know these cut quartz dry with carpentry tools as we've already sold over 1000 units with no issues.

We keep being asked if these will cut solid surface, the answer is I don't know. I have a feeling there's too high a resin content in solid surface for diamond blades to be efficient but there's nothing like running a test to find out.

So I'm interested to see what Paul comes up with.

Just received from ATS

2 x 18mm, 2 x 35mm M14 dry corers

4 x 6mm waxed drill bits

And a porcelain turbo blade 115mm

The blade is awesome, straight cut and no chipping on the window checks.

18mm for fast fix shower fittings to go round 15mm copper, well impressed.

And the 35mm for radiator, hot/cold supply pipes and basin waste, finished off with a chrome plastic collar, all holes quick and clean through Hillock 600 x 300 porcelain from CTD.

Will report on the drilling tomorrow with the 6mm.

Would of rather had the 6mm M14 but mixed reports on longevity.

C

Concrete guy

Just received from ATS

2 x 18mm, 2 x 35mm M14 dry corers

4 x 6mm waxed drill bits

And a porcelain turbo blade 115mm

The blade is awesome, straight cut and no chipping on the window checks.

18mm for fast fix shower fittings to go round 15mm copper, well impressed.

And the 35mm for radiator, hot/cold supply pipes and basin waste, finished off with a chrome plastic collar, all holes quick and clean through Hillock 600 x 300 porcelain from CTD.

Will report on the drilling tomorrow with the 6mm.

Would of rather had the 6mm M14 but mixed reports on longevity.

We brought the wax filled bits in specifically to cover the smaller M14 drills.

The M14 at 6mm we've found hit or miss in porcelain only and seems to be completely user dependent. We're more confident with the wax filled bits for the smaller holes.

115mm Turbo Flange Porcelain Blades are now out of stock but we have some in production we we hope to see within a couple of weeks.

Broken Link Removed

So this was us drilling with the waxed 6mm

3 minutes for this hole and over 5 for the next, I didn't try another with this bit.

The next bit was about 1.30 for the first hole then it didn't seem to go anywhere on the second hole.

Hikes done with XRP battery gun and 240v drill both on highest speed

I found it really awkward to try and hold a plywood guide and generally the sucker guides are unpredictable, fall off the wall and could cause damage so ended up piloting them with Bosch masonry bit (which goes through same tile in 1.30)

Overall fairly disappointed as I was expecting these to make life easier which is far from the case

On average between 15-20 holes fitting out a bathroom so even if it meant 2 or 3 M14 grinder 6mm for a bathroom I don't see £25-40 a job being a problem as I can hold and drill accurately with the grinder without a guide by myself instead of someone holding a guide for me or having to ware money on masonry bits to pilot first.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Concrete guy

Hikes done with XRP battery gun and 240v drill both on highest speed

There's your problem.

The DeWalt XRP is at 2000rpm at full chat, not sure what speed your 240v drill operates at without the spec.

The wax filled bits are designed for drilling at 500-1200 rpm and you can't lean on them like you're drilling with a masonry bit.

The part of your video where all the smoke appeared, that was the point at which you burnt all the diamond off the tip with a combination of too much speed and too much pressure. Take it slow, let the diamond do the work and these will happily drill loads of holes and reasonably quickly.

The following is the spec on our website for these bits:-

Wax filled vacuum brazed dry porcelain drill bits.
The Hex shaft makes these perfect for use in a battery drill driver.
Can comfortably drill 20 or more holes in the hardest grade 5 porcelain.
Allow the drill and the rotation to cut the hole, don't lean on these bits like you would a masonry drill.
Never use the hammer action it will destroy the diamond tip. Use at around 500 - 1200rpm.
Available in 6mm, 7mm & 8mm the most common problem sizes. We tested larger sizes but found the cores got stuck in the wax. If you need to drill larger holes dry, see our M14 Vacuum Brazed bits which are available up to 65mm diameter.

Reply to good diamond blades in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays