Search the forum,

Discuss Gap between last tile and ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

FreeD

One more! When tiling floor to siling in a bathroom...in this case plasterboard/skim ceiling...what size gap should you leave between tile and ceiling and how should this gap be filled? silicone? grout? thanks :8:

G

Gazzer

Leave a grout joint, same size as between the tiles. Use either grout or painters caulk.

F

FreeD

won't flexi grout and caulk crack? The loft was directly above on my last job and cracks had appeared in all the upstairs ceilings so i suggested silicone was this bad practice?

C

CJ CERAMICS

i have always used silicone on the top line. this was taught to me when i first started as a way of stopping the cracking due to movement from thr ceiling above i cant say that it is the right way but it is the way that was taught to me and it made sense at the time:8:

A

ad tiling

nothing wrong with using silicone i use it,
unless they want coving put up, as for caulk thats
used for painting over so no need to use it

T

Time's Ran Out

Hello FreeD.

I dont leave any gap at the ceiling unless I cut them short!
With the shape that we are left with ceilings by plasterers these days I always find it a required practise to cut as accurately as possible to follow the ceiling line.
I would grout to the ceiling with the same colour as the rest of the walls and as silicone does not paint over I would only recommend decorators caulk - if indeed I thought it was part of my job as a Tiler.
Have fun:thumbsup:
John.

F

FreeD

Yea i feel sometimes you can overdo the silicone in a bathroom here and there looks ok but ceiling line and floor line is a bit excessive...but with movement in the loft both caulk and flexi grout will crack hmmm...so what ure saying is grout..then let the decorator caulk before painting ceiling? that mgt work

Reply to Gap between last tile and ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen